stevenwright02

Default Massachusetts marriage records

I am looking for the marriage in Massachusetts, USA c. 1905-1910 between John McCahill and Catherine (Cassie) Furey.

Is the only available source of this information the Massachusetts public record directory? Being a subscription based site, I'm keen to establish if this information is available in any of the traditional genealogical sites (e.g. Ancestry, FMP etc.), in the first instance.

Fingers crossed it is.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Ancestry does not have the information that you are looking for although it does have some Massachusetts records. Searching on John McCahill gives the following results:
    Birth, Marriage & Death, including Parish 13

4 Massachusetts Death Index, 1970-2003
    2 Massachusetts, Marriages, 1633-1850
    4 Massachusetts, Town Records, 1620-1988
    2 Social Security Death Index
    1 Web: Massachusetts, Find A Grave Index, 1620-2011

and on Catherine Furey it gives:
    Birth, Marriage & Death, including Parish 4

1 Massachusetts, Town Records, 1620-1988
    1 Social Security Death Index
    2 United States Obituary Collection

CanadianCousin

I looked on FMP.com, but didn't find anything that matched.

Good luck -

Tim

Coromandel

On the database on this website you can find the year when the marriage took place, and district name, vol./page numbers:

https://www.
    sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcsrch/VitalRecordsSearchContents.html

I'd hoped the images might be on FamilySearch. They do have this page, which sounds promising:

https://www.
    familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=https://www.familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1928860

However, when I click on 'Browse through 725,063 images' it keeps timing out. Maybe worth trying again later?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    when I click on 'Browse through 725,063 images' it keeps timing out. Maybe worth trying again later?
    It is working now . . . but it appears that most of the marriages on there are from 1916-1920. There are some earlier ones, called 'delayed marriages', but none for the volume number given in the index mentioned above. As stated on the main page, images are being added gradually; perhaps the ones you want will be added eventually?

klrich

I am a recent transplant to Massachusetts and found that early 20th century birth, death and marriage records in the Boston area are only in the Records office in Dorchester. It costs $19 to walk in the door, but folks are very helpful. I am not sure they take mail requests, but probably do, however their hours are limited. I do not know about smaller towns or western Massachusetts; for them, try the Town Clerk's office. They can direct you to the right agency. I can look the next time I am there, or others may be there sooner than I will. Karen