Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves to help with queries

So George was born in the reign of Henry VIII or even Henry VII. Amazing! cicilysmith

spison

Oh T@nya! Like wow! What a find. My mother did get us back through a will into the 1680s but I can't claim to have done anything as amazing at this!

Jane

Knowledgeable and helpful

Indeed!

I imagine I can't much further back (there's a few other earlier documents that, sadly, will probably provide far fewer clues) but I'm amazed I got this far.

Another success. Some time ago I asked my genealogist (now retired) to get a few wills for me, including the 1577 will of Richard Rushall of Hampton Lovett. William Rushall was William Woodhouse's brother in law. At that time, I thought it was another dead end; I didn't have the experience, back then, that I have now regarding reading such early handwriting, I was more overwhelmed with other information back then, so I probably didn't pay it the attention I should have, and I was thrown off by the variant spelling.

Now, I realise it is the right man!

It mentions his son in law, which is something like William Woddouse, whereas the inventory calls him by the normal spelling. William Woodhouse.

So, now I have the maiden name of Margery, William Woodhouse's wife, which is a big deal that early on. And, of course, other clues to follow up on.

Another lesson in periodically going back over what you have done before.

Wilkes_ml

Well done

It is always worth going back over old research. It is amazing how many little things can get overlooked, even for us who have been researching for 25+ years! I found the name of an ancestor who had remarried, by going back over the census of her son...she was living with him in the 1841 census with a different name but I'd not noticed she was in the same household!

Congrats!

Loves to help with queries

Many congratulations to both of you, cicilysmith

Thanks.

Talk about missing things, another look at the will and I realise Richard came from Elmbridge. I got him mixed up with a more prominent family from Hampton Lovett which is, I think, connected anyway. I just need to prove it now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12