Keefy

Default Fordham family in India

I am tracing the Fordham family ( Harry Fordham especially) born 1881 in Allahabad. Does anyone know anything about this family whilst in India around the turn of the century.

Mutley

Welcome to the forum.
    I know you must have this information but it may help others searching for you to know these dates.
    Harry is on Family Search as the son of George William Fordham and Ellen Jane,
    Siblings that I could see were:
    John Gelson 1873
    Annie Eliza 1875
    Louisa Gertrude 1877
    Harry 1881
    George Herbert 1883
    Emert Frank 1885
    Agnes May 1887
    Ellen Jane 1891
    Amy Irene 1893

I wonder why Harry only had one name?
    Do you know when he returned to the UK?

There is a Harry Fordham who made several trips back and forth to India in the 1900s. He was an Engineer, is he your man?

Sorry to ask questions rather than give you help but we need to know if we are searching for the correct Harry.

Mutley

I think that Harry worked for the Great Indian Peninsula Railway.
    He married Kate Quick at Acton Parish Church on 30 March 1908.
    His father was deceased by then.

I found a reference to George William which said he was a ticket collector for R.M.R. and later became an accountant.

I believe the census in India started in 1861 and I am not sure where they are available from.
    I don't know if you might get any help from this site, I did not work my way around it.
    https://www.
    chaf.lib.latrobe.edu.au/dcd/default.htm

Perhaps a line of research would be through the companies that they worked in.

Keefy

Yes, this is the correct man. He, and sometimes his wife, went back and forth to India between 1908, when he married, and 1935, when he returned on his own. His wife Kate came back in 1932 with him, but appears not to have returned. At that time, she went to live in Grays, Essex, where other relatives lived. He returned in 1935, but said he would be living at a hotel in Shirley, Warwickshire. This might be to do with his career. I have a picture of him taken in India, wearing an Army Officers uniform - it looks like a Warrant Officer. Kate died in 1969 in Glasgow, where her son Kenneth was living. What happened to him between 1935 and whenever and wherever he died. ???

Thanks for help

Keefy

Sandra Parker

The India Office Family History Search database contains 300,000 brief records for births, marriages, military and naval service, deaths, burials, baptisms, bonds, pensions, wills and brief biographies of Europeans in British India up to 1947.
    The British Library
    Asia, Pacific & Africa Collections
    96 Euston Road
    London
    NW1 2DB
    United Kingdom
    Email: [email protected]
    I found them most helpful
    Good Luck
    Sandra