Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    jac65

Hi

Link to Australian Newspaper website

https://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

According to the deaths index on NSW BMD the parents of Eliza Keys were Joseph & Hannah

https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHist...calRecords.htm

Andy

Starting to feel at home

Hi Andy, yes I had noticed Eliza's parents' names which are quite different from 'Eliza' and 'Thomas' and was one of the reasons why I said earlier I need to check a couple of details. I'll probably need to order death certs to see who registered the deaths of both Eliza and William. Do NSW death certs show the deceased's age and name & address of notifier and relationship?

William James' parents are shown as William and Elizabeth on his Death Index whereas they were Alexander and Eliza on the 1891 UK census. It may be that his father was known as William. I don't have a problem with this as my own registered names have never been used by my family. It came as quite a shock to find out you are not who you thought you were!

What I have at present then is a William James Keys born Portsmouth 1871 and Catherine Eliza Keys (nee Whitefield) born Portsmouth 1877 compared to a William James Keys and Eliza Keys living 1930 onwards in Cascade Street, Katoomba, in a house called 'Portsmouth'. There are no NSW rolls before 1930 I believe but they may have moved from elsewhere. At least I have the start of a 'project' which is more than I had a week ago!

thanks again Ray

jac65

Hi Ray

NSW Death Certificates should have parents names and deceaseds birthplace amongst other details. The link below has information about various Australian certificates.

https://www.
    jaunay.com/bdm.html

I have found a reference to Mrs Keys of Portsmouth, Cascade St in 1919 on the Trove newspaper site but I'm still not sure that it isn't a coincidence. Do you have a copy of the 1899 marriage and does it have original signitures? If so, then it might be worth comparing Williams signiture with the 1911 census.

Andy

Starting to feel at home

Thanks again Andy, god idea.
    I'll get a copy of the wedding cert. from GRO as it will show a photocopy of the actual register. Unfortunately the locally obtained copy was typed.
    Ray

jac65

Hi Ray

The GRO copy won't be an original, was it a church marriage? If so, that might be the best source.

Andy

Starting to feel at home

Hi Andy, no solemnized at The Register Office. However, nothing lost, this coming week I'll take a copy of the 1911 census to the Portsmouth Register Office and cheekily ask them to compare with the original marriage certificate which I will naturally offer to buy.
    They will probably cheekily ask me to come back in 2 days.
    Ray

Starting to feel at home

I visited Portsmouth Register Office today and their copies of marriage certificates are now handwritten only. You cannot view the originals in their registers. So near yet so far.
    I was told the GRO hold identical copies to Portsmouth's and may be prepared to issue a full photocopy including signatures. They advised me to contact GRO, which I have done by email. Just hope the registrar didn't fill it all in by himself.
    Ray

Ed Bradford

Ray, arrivals through Ellis Island are only those people that are not USA citizens. Is it possible that those people "missing on the manifest" claimed to be USA citizens upon arrival?
    ............Ed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123