Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Court Records

Kazzee

Sorry...Long day..I'm not really as green at this as I appear..

The industrial school was The Prince Mary Village Home in Addlestone...
    Her admittance details are:
    Name Jane Doris Smith
    Residence: West Ham,
    Born: 17/4/1897.
    Admission date: 7/4/1905.
    Parents: Frederick and Jane Emily Smith.
    Removal: Under section 14 of the industrial schools act
    Circumstances: Living in a house resided in or frequented by prostitutes for the purpose of
    prostitution.

Discharge:
    Just gives her name and age upon leaving the school and the exact date her 'sentence' ended which was the 16/4/1913 and she left the school 19/4/1913.

This information was researched and sent to me by Surrrey archives. They also told me that with the schools act being cited her removal was most likely officially done by the courts.

As you can see it is not much to go on but I'll add in what I know about the family.
    In 1906 Jane Doris' mother (name Jane Emily) entered in to another relationship with Harry Climpson and had 2 more children (one being my grandfather). They resided in Hackney until their deaths.
    Jane Doris' father Frederick died in 1914 in Mile End. Frederick is on the 1911 census living with his parents.
    My main reason for wanting any court records is to get an idea of what the family were doing between 1901 (they were living in Walthamstow) and Jane Doris' removal in 1905.
    It has been said that my grandfather and his wife (my Nan) met his half sister in 1934, however when relaying this information my grandmother was very elderly and couldn't remember the name of the half sister or where they visited her. And just to throw in a little more confusion my grandfather had 9 other half siblings through Harry Climpson's previous marriage. It's possible but unlikely that the half sister met in 1934 could have been one of Harry's daughters, however it appears from my research and contact with Harry's grandchildren and great grandchildren they weren't even aware Harry had another family after leaving their mother. So the only conclusion we could come to was the half sister they met was in fact Jane Doris. Hope that makes sense. My Nan did remember though that the half sister they met was 'very well to do and the house was quite posh'. They were served high tea in the parlor possibly by a servant.

I have Jane Doris' baptism record, and currently awaiting the arrival of her birth certificate. Also have the 1901 and 1911 census for her.
    I think now I had added in everything I know...Hope it all makes sense..

Thanks
    Last edited by Kazzee; 22-09-2012 at 1:59 AM. Reason: typo

Reputation beyond repute

Sorry I'm not going to have much time to look at this today. If you want court records I presume it would be a magistrates court or other court of summary jurisdiction that covered West Ham wherever they may be stored.

Perhaps someone else knows?

Kazzee

No worries Peter..Thanks

Nicolina

if you go searching for any court records do remember to check dates post removal.
    Nowadays a child would be removed and then an application made for the child to be committed to the relevant Children's Department.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzee View Post
    I also contacted Newham local archives (on advice) but to date they have been non responsive.
    Not sure if your record would be in the Petty Sessions Records - but if so -according to the National Archives web site West Ham Borough Petty Sessions records are held at Newham Archives and Local Studies library. ref GB/NNAF/C210563 ( though no dates given) - so it is perhaps worth contacting them again. I'm sure you already have the following contact details

[email protected] or by post - Stratford Library, 3 The Grove, London, E15 1EL, England

tel 020 3373 6881

The library had been closed for refurbishment earlier in the year so perhaps your request got lost somehow.

Kazzee

Thank you grisel...I don't know if the court records for my Great Aunt would come under Petty Sessions either..To me it is far from petty if you know what I mean. I wonder where the bigger court cases were held for the more serious stuff that occurred in West Ham..I may have to give google another hammering Thanks again

Reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it would be a court of summary jurisdiction (petty sessions/magistrates court/police court). It wouldn't need a jury to decide it!

You may find the wording of the Industrial Schools Act online. I'm pretty sure it says that magistrates made the decision.

Kazzee

Thanks Peter..
    I sent another email to the Newham Archives and Local Studies library..Fingers crossed I get a response this time..

Famous for offering help & advice

Looking again I see at

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/n...AbsolutePage=4

Newham also have Quarter Sessions records 1894-1965 ref GB/NNAF/C71560

Kazzee

Hi grisel

Thank you so much for the information. I'm just hoping the Newham Archives and Local Studies reply to my second email which I sent yesterday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12