Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    A good idea - thanks - and will follow on

Colin
    Have contacted the Library and am awaiting their response.

Have also ordered the marriage cert. for John and Mary and this should be here soon

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Colin, The Courtney Library in Truro, Cornwall hold some Coroners Inquests - google the library name and under "using the collections" it lists some of the info they hold.
    Might be worth an email to see if they have your John Golly.

Rebecca
    Have just heard back from the library as follows: "there is no entry in our Coroners Index for 1890 under the name of GOLLY/GOLLEY. You may wish to look in the West Briton newspaper for 1890 and check for an item on him".

I don't know if this newspaper is covered under the British Newspaper Archives, but if it is, can someone with a sub. do a look up for me? The alternative is to purchase the death certificate.

Thanks
    Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

only the Cornishman and the Royal Cornwall Gazette and they dont seem to mention him.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    only the Cornishman and the Royal Cornwall Gazette and they dont seem to mention him.
    Thanks. Looks like I've gotta spend!!!

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Have also ordered the marriage cert. for John and Mary and this should be here soon

Colin
    It arrived today. John's father was William Golly - a Labourer - and still alve in 1847 when they [John and Mary] married in Gorran on 17 April 1847.

This matches the chap I found in 1841 and now having looked at the naming patterns of his children with Mary as well as the names of his siblings [in 1841] it sort of looks like the right conection

Colin

MarkJ

It arrived today. John's father was William Golly - a Labourer - and still alve in 1847 when they [John and Mary] married in Gorran on 17 April 1847.

This matches the chap I found in 1841 and now having looked at the naming patterns of his children with Mary as well as the names of his siblings [in 1841] it sort of looks like the right conection

Colin
    Just because the father was named (and no mention of him being deceased), it doesn't mean he was still alive Colin.
    I expect he was - but don't take entries on a marriage certificate as total fact. Fathers were often created for illegitimate children; dropped by considerate spouses who didn't wish to make an illegitimate husband or wife appear somehow "inferior".... so many different reasons - family rows, forgetfulness...

I even have a marriage certificate which states that the brides father was deceased, yet the next member of the family to marry claims father was alive (and indeed he was - but the mother and father had split up, which may explain the claim that he was dead!)

Nicolina

I have one that is also a total fabrication. The father is named William W*, not Mattew W* as expected. However looking at the baptism it shows that he was illegitimate and the "reputed father" was William C*, so it was a combination of his father and step-father's names. Also his surname should have been L*. Only once does the L* surname appear after the baptism and that is on the 1911 Census.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Just because the father was named (and no mention of him being deceased), it doesn't mean he was still alive Colin.
    I expect he was - but don't take entries on a marriage certificate as total fact. Fathers were often created for illegitimate children; dropped by considerate spouses who didn't wish to make an illegitimate husband or wife appear somehow "inferior".... so many different reasons - family rows, forgetfulness...

I even have a marriage certificate which states that the brides father was deceased, yet the next member of the family to marry claims father was alive (and indeed he was - but the mother and father had split up, which may explain the claim that he was dead!)
    I appreciate your comments, Mark, but for the time being I'll go with William Golly still living at the time of marriage.

As for Mary, that is a different "kettle of fish". Her father was named John and supposedly deceased. No occupation either was listed

I did find Mary as a Pauper in the the Poor House, Gorran - transcribed as Denney - no accupation. If her parents were alive in 1841 they should be around, but if they were, why was Mary classified asa Pauper? Can her parents be found to dispel the statement on the certificate?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

After piecing together all of the census records found - including those with mistranscribed names and ages, it would appear that John and Mary had a total of 10 children, so my great grandfather Joseph had lots of Golley's to play with.

Thanks all for your help so far.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Have heard from "reliable sources" that there are no entries in the following newspapers for details of the inquest:
    "The West Briton"
    "The Cornishman"
    The Royal Cornwall Gazette"

Looks like I have to buy the D.C. to find the cause and possibly the name of the Coroner so I can further researh, unless other folks have suggestions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast