Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Alan, Phillip,
    re post #431, I received a quote from TNA for copying "Schneider v Lewis W1804 G23". It was £50+ so I haven't proceeded. Any other options other than visiting TNA?. I was hoping it may provide some further information about Noah (ie relatives/addresses etc).
    Adrian

Alan, Phillip,
    The book "The Jews of Jamaica: tombstone inscriptions, 1663-1880" has a reference to a Sarah Levy widow of Abraham Levy. I'm not able to see from Google books when Sarah and Abraham were alive. Given the possible name changes of Levy to Lewis and the fact that Andrew Lewis is the god father and Sarah L. Lewis is the god mother of Edward Henry Lewis per the "Records of a West Indian Mohel" Publications of the American Jewish Historical Society, number 25, Published 1917,

"Edward Henry, Son of Louis Lewis by his wife. Circumcised Sat.,Dec. 22, 1832, at 8 days. Padrinho : Andrew Lewis. Madrinha : Sarah L.Lewis."

I am wondering (bit of a long shot) if Sarah Levy is the same person as Sarah L. Lewis and if Abraham Levy was also known as Abraham Lewis (possibly the father of Catherine Lewis who married Thomas Giddy MacIntyre).

I have not been able to find any other references to Sarah L. Lewis.

Thoughts?

Adrian

AlanofDurham

Adrian,

Obtaining information using Google snippets is something of a black art but the only reference I can obtain is
    1692 Sarah widow of Abraham Levy Rezio
    I suspect you have found something else!

Sarah L. Lewis is a new variant to me (in the 1830s). Sophia Levy Lewis could still be in Jamaica at this point in time.

Thanks for pursuing "Schneider v Lewis" but I don't think any of us could justify £50+ when there may be no relevant information. I've put it down against any visit to TNA.

Alan
    Last edited by AlanofDurham; 08-06-2014 at 7:11 PM. Reason: unfinished

Alan,
    black art indeed. The entry comes up on page 159. I searched using the term "Abraham Levy". The entries appear to begin with a year. The one for Sarah has no year and then the number 407, which I assume is the page number

" Sarah, widow of Abraham Levy 407"
    Adrian

Adrian and Alan
    I have been looking again at Emanuel Levi silversmith; Solomon Levi watchmaker 1790 Canterbury and not forgetting Moses Levi silversmith Canterbury 1798 in an attempt to locate any further links to Noah Levi possibly Noah Edward Lewis. It is interesting that the UK Register of Duties for Apprentices Indentures show Noah Levy as master, watchmaker Ramsgate Kent 7 July 1791 with Jacob Swaby apprentice for 5 years and a Jacob Swaby clock and watchmaker Royston Herts in 1791 and in 1795 in Romney but by 1793 Noah is last mentioned in Ramsgate. Not sure if the 5 year indenture record ended in 1791. Then there is the reference to Henry Levi , sometimes referred to as Henry J Levy who appears in 1794 in Ramsgate ( Think and Thank:The Montefiore Synagogue College- D Cardozo and P Goodman, 1933) watchmaker. The snippet from Google books refers to the possibility of Henry and Noah being father and son. You also have in the Apprentice records Henry Levi master Tailor in Ramsgate 19 Nov 1796 and there is a Lamb Levi also an apprentice tailor in Dover 1798. was Noah on the continent post 1793 and then becomes Noah Edward Lewis Mansell St.
    What we are lacking is full sight of the books and references.
    On the subject of the NA Documents I hold a number of photocopies from the archives on my lines and got some of them by requesting only copies of the first main pages so that I could then place a larger order if needed. Of course, you may not get all of the salient details in the first few pages and that is a risk.

The Jamaica snippet is an interesting one and worth further pursuit if possible.
    Phillip

Ellen,
    re #435 thanks for the information. I am still having trouble with the Isaacs in Jamaica as there are numerous and share common first names. In terms of Jolles book I am looking for any information regarding Andrew and Elizabeth Isaacs, Elizabeth being the grandmother of Catherine Lewis. Catherine's father is possibly Abraham Lewis who married an Isaac(s). I also think that Noah Edward Lewis/Levy married a Frances (Fanny) Isaacs as she is listed as a cousin in Catherines will. Given Sophia was born about 1791 and she appears to be the first child possibly Frances is from Ramsgate or nearby. Another possibility is that Noah and Frances were married prior to arriving in Ramsgate. The fact that Noah had numerous visits to Frankfurt suggests that he may have originated from there

Adrian

Default Louis Lewis - George Coleman Hamilton Lewis

Alan, Phillip
    Found an interesting article in The Lancet Volume 2 1842-43 titled "Foreign Body in the Trachea" written by George Coleman Hamilton Lewis about his Brother Louis Lewis of Kingston Jamaica getting a bone stuck in his throat. Link here

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=...0Lewis&f=false

Further confirms the relationship and provides information about Louis Lewis travelling from Jamaica to England in 1842 for treatment

Adrian

Adrian
    I have been very busy writing my family history book but did you note the addition in November 2014 on Cemetery Scribes Website for Noah Edward Lewis ID 16481 in which his wife Frances aka Fanny is named as a JACOBS. Her father is given as Moses Jacobs and mother unknown but there are also entries for Fanny's sibling Henry Jacobs who married Kitty Samuel. Moses Jacobs is recorded as dying in 1799 Duke's Place and his wife dying 5 February 1795.
    I have not looked in any detail at this information but noted on your #447 of this thread that you thought Fanny might be an Isaacs. You might want to look more closely at the Cemetery Scribes data.
    Phillip

Adrian
    Here is the Synagogue Scribes Great Synagogue Marriage Record for Henry Jacobs given in the Cemetery Scribes Records as the sibling of Fanny aka Francis wife of Noah Edward Lewis. Apologies it was #446 where you referred to Francis as possibly being an Isaacs. Note the Hebrew name for the father of Henry.
    GSM 006/5 Henry Jacobs -Hebrew name Hirsch- father's Hebrew name MOSHE COHEN -Married 20 June 1792
    Kitty Samuel Hebrew name Krenle- father's Hebrew name ENSLEY COHEN.

There are numbers of Ancestry.Com family trees which include Henry Jacobs/Kitty Samuel but I would treat them with caution regarding their accuracy.
    Phillip

Adrian and Allan
    I need to look closely at a range of data but currently it appears that Isaac Isaacs b abt 1811 who married Catherine Pyke b abt 1814 are the parents of Eleazer Isaacs aka Elly Isaac Miller who married into my Crawcour lines. In addition,Hugh the son of Elly Isaac Miller and Charlotte "Lottie" Crawcour married Edmee Richards aka Kittie Hart who was an 'adopted' daughter of my 2x great grandparents Amelia and Henry Hart. I say all of this because there are family trees which connect Catherine Pyke as the daughter of Lewis Eleazer Pyke 1787-1850. These lines in their turn relating to Julia Louisson; Caroline Isaacs; John Pyke; Judith Pyke- these connections appear from the family trees to be half siblings.
    Isaac Isaacs married Catherine Pyke See Synagogue Scribes Records GSMa 007/06- 10 November 1841. There appear to be 3 children from the marriage- Lewis Isaacs b 1842; Eleazer b 1844; Albert Abraham.
    I already have Pyke/Hart connections through a later marriage between Bernard Hart and Rachel Pyke.

I will try and unpick the data.
    Phillip

Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast