Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Adrian and Allan
    Looking back to #141 when Allan first posted on his Isaacs lines I noted his reference to Lewis Lucas Isaacs. I re-read the will of Lewis Isaacs watchmaker who died in 1850 leaving a widow Sarah Eliza. Allan had on a separate website discounted this Lewis Isaacs as a relative but I noted that he signed his name as L Lucas. The other 2 witnesses to the will had their addresses included so unless I am totally mistaken ( Synagogue Scribes have the name J Lucas as a witness but I believe this is incorrect) this Lewis Isaacs also used the surname Lucas. Whether or not he is related to Allan remains to be determined.
    This Lewis Isaacs may also be the lodger who is recorded as being a dealer in jewellery and watches who was residing with Aaron and John Hart at 62 Leman Street during the 1830s. Aaron Hart is my 3x great grandfather.
    This record appears in the JewishGen UK Data base of London Insurance Records.
    I also noted reference in The London Gazette Januray 29, 1837 to Lewis Isaacs and John William Hammond Gloucester St dealer in precious metals. This maybe the Lewis Isaacs referred to as a 'broker' in Allan's initial posts.
    More research is needed to identify these Lewis Isaacs.
    Also to be noted another Lewis Isaacs connected to my Jacobs/Hart/Levy lines- The Morning Chronicle Saturday August 14, 1858- Marriage Henry Levy second son of Daniel Levy Esq of Hunter Street Brunswick Square to Esther youngest daughter of Lewis Isaacs of Markham Square.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Hi Alan, Phillip,

Madeleine Mitchell has been in contact with me and kindly provided further information from the books that we had identified via snippets in Google Books.

Barnett and Wright - The Jews of Jamaica Tombstone Inscriptions 1663-l880

In response to your post on Brit Gen #442 Sarah, widow of Abraham Levy 407. 407 is a reference to the number of the tombstone in the book. There is no date and the only other thing is the location i.e. row 3:68, in the Jewish Cemetery in Kingston. So on p 61 of the book it reads: 407 Sarah, widow of Abraham Levy row 3: 68 Page header Kingston In the frontispiece of the chapter, it says that items including the number 407 were in the Orange Street Cemetery in Kingston.

Andrade - A record of the Jews in Jamaica p 161

"Rudolph deCordova eldest son of the late Altamont deCordova was born in Lower Kings street on 10 June 1839 in a house jointly occupied by his parents and the parents of his mother-Mr. and Mrs Louis Lewis. Two of the Lewis brothers James and George were solicitors in London. James was the father of George (the second) who became the most distinguished solicitor of his time in England and enjoyed the friendship of the Prince of Wales, afterwards Edward VII. He was knighted first and later made a Baronet. His brother Frederick H was a barrister and was noted as a whist and chess player as well as a benefactor of University College School. Mr and Mrs. Lewis removed from Lower King Street to lower Hanover Street and later on to Upper Duke Street where the last house on the west side of the street was purchased. This is now Melrose House-one of our best known city hotels."

Adrian

Default Harriet Lewis?

Hi Alan, Phillip,

I have found another newspaper article in
    The London Dispatch and People's Political and Social Reformer (London, England), Sunday, October 14, 1838; Issue 109.

"On the 3rd Inst. at the residence of her sister, Mrs S.L. Lewis, 77 Great Surrey-street, Harriet, youngest daughter of the late N. E. Lewis, Esq."

What is interesting is that I have not found any reference to a Harriet Lewis as a daughter of Noah Edward Lewis. Previously I though there was only Catherine and Sophia.

The address of 77 Great Surrey St. is new also. I have Sophia at Melina Place when she witnessed articles to her son Charles Vallencey Lewis in 1833 and then by 1841 Census they are at Woburn Place.

Thoughts?

Adrian

Adrian
    We noted the 77 Great Surrey Street address in an earlier post- it is the address of George Coleman Hamilton Lewis who was admitted as an Attorney in 1834- see The Legal Observer 1834.
    Will look further.
    Phillip

Phillip,
    thanks I'd overlooked that address from previous post, confirms that it is Sophia and Noah in the article and that Harriet is another daughter of Noah.

Adrian

Default Frances Jacobs

Hi Alan, Phillip,
    I have been in touch with Angela Shire re the source of Frances/Fanny (wife of Noah Edward Lewis) being a Jacobs. Angela has kindly provided the following information,

The source for the family name JACOBS comes from the papers of the late Arthur Arnold,(held in the library of the JGSGB in London. Arthur was a direct descendant of Moses Jacobs via Fanny Jacob's brother Charles (Cooley/Coolie) Jacobs. The family name was changed to Arnold by /deed Poll by Cooley Jacobs' great grandson Montie Phillip Jacobs on 23 October 1915. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...348/page/10842

From WWI records of serving Solicitors
    MONTIE PHILLIP ARNOLD.
    Admitted June 1906. Member of Hicks, Arnold " Bender, 35 King Street, Covent Garden. Enlisted Sept. 1916 as Rifleman, 5th Batt. City of London Regt. (London Rifle Brigade). Gazetted 2nd Lieut. 1st Batt. London Regt., attached 39th Royal Fusiliers Feb. 1918, attached H.Q. D.E.T.A., E.E.F., Jerusalem, Sept. 1918, Staff Lieut, (graded G.G.), Assistant to Senior Judicial Officer, President of Court of First Instance for Kazas, Haifa, Acre, and Nazareth, and Staff Capt. (graded F.F.) Jan. 1919. Served at Home, Egypt, and Palestine.
    Arthur Arnold, who followed his father into his father's firm of solicitors, Bender, was one of the first to abstract Jewish names from civil sources see https://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-10/1224080304 and see also https://www.jhse.org/content/jhse-papers for other abstracts

Arthur Arnold's research into his own family, long before Ancestry and the internet, was thorough and meticulous and took place in libraries and archives. As the family solicitor, he also had access to a vast amount of documentary evidence.

Further information from Arthur Arnold lists Captn N. E. Lewis and his Hebrew name as Nachum b. Phineas. We know that Noah's Hebrew name was Nachum, but Phineas is new information. This also tends to discount Moses Levi of Canterbury (who had a son Noah) from being Noah's father.

The lack of Jacobs names in Noah's family gives me some doubt however for now I'm keeping Frances/Fanny as a Jacobs.

Adrian

Adrian
    My thinking is that we need to research further the Jacobs line.As you say, we have no previous data on Jacobs links and I would like to see more information on this specific line. We have always tried to support our research with primary records and should do this with the Jacobs.
    Phillip

Adrian
    Have noted in UK Register of Duties Paid for Apprentice Indentures
    Sat 3 Jan 1800
    Cooley Jacobs St.1a? Dukes Place London watchmaker apprenticed to Moses Levy. Also noted Cooley Jacobs watch finisher St James Duke's Place apprentice in 1805.
    The first name appears to be aka Colley aka Colly.
    Phillip

Adrian
    Synagogue Scribes site GSM 114/20 Marriage 15 May 1808
    Cooley ( Charles) Jacobs -Hebrew name Yechutiel son of a Priv.Member-father's Hebrew name MOSHE COHEN- Jane WOOLF
    Phillip

Phillip,
    I have ordered the JHSE papers as referenced by Angela to see if there are further links. I'll post information once it arrives.
    Adrian

Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast