Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Adrian
    Given the complexities of all the Levy/Lewis relationships and who is related to who I would treat with caution siblings and parents. I say this based on my own family history. My great, great grandparents " adopted" a child pre 1928 adoption laws and she was brought up by them and in my great, great grandmother's will only then referred to as " my adopted daughter" and niece.
    Noah Edward Lewis was in the King's Bench Prison in 1814. How long he was there is unknown.
    I will look further for Levy in Ramsgate, Kent where Sophia was born.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Default The Elusive Edward Rayner

Phillip,

Here is a summary of what whe have on Edward (James) Rayner

Edward Rayner claimed and listed on his marriage certificate that his parents were

Constance Lewis
    James Edward Rayner

His passport has his birth date as November 1872 in London. We have tried searching for his passport records to see if he provided a birth cert or simlilar but the authority in Australia advised us that these records were destroyed (supposedly by fire).

Edward was sent to Australia as a remittance man in 1891. He travels out on the Lusitania. He is my great grandfather.

Family stories are that Edward stated that Constance "ran of" with a Foreign Banker and that he (Edward) had an "Uncle" Sir George Lewis.

We have done a lot of searching and managed to locate a Constance Lewis born to Edward and Charlotte Lewis in 1850 although only a christening record for Constance can be found. Edward Lewis is Edward Tyrrell Lewis's Uncle). Constance Lewis is in the 1881 to 1911 census living with Eugene Brocheton a Foriegn Banker who was born in Paris and moved to London sometime before 1871. In these Census she is sometimes listed as Constance Brocheton wife of Eugene and sometimes as Constance Lewis. We cannot locate Constance Lewis in the 1871 census although we think she is the person listed as Constance Seslie (Leslie on the original) with her sister Lily Lewis visiting. In this Census it claims she is married however we have not been able to track down a marriage to either a Seslie, Leslie or Rayner. She is listed with her family in the 1851 and 1861 Census.

In 1916 Constance and Eugene get married. We suspect this is becauce Eugene becomes ill and if they were not married there may have been difficulty in Constance being able to claim from Eugenes will. This is where we find out that Constance's real name is Elizabeth Rose Wilmar Lewis (but called Constance). Eugene dies in 1917 and leaves most of what is left of his estate to Constance (he claims that he lost a lot of money due to WWI).

In 1929 Constance dies and Edward Rayner gets notified. He arranges to travel back to London to find out what has happened. He doesn't arrive until 1930. He claims that when he eventually meets up with his supposed family they threaten to kill him and he has to leave quickly. We have the letter he sent back to his daughter Constance, which talks about his stopover in Plymouth prior to going to London.

In his letter he descibes going back to the school that his family sent him. He caught the Motor Bus to the top of the hill and it was only 9 miles from Plymouth. He then walked down a steep hill into the village.

I have investigated the possbilites for the village and based on an extract from the Buckland Monachorum Parish web site I think that Milton Combe is the village

https://www.bmpc.info/miltoncombe.asp

“In the late 1920’s or early 30’s a Devon Motor transport bus came to the top of Milton hill. For over 50 years villagers had walked up the long steep hill to catch the bus but in 1984 a minibus…”

I have found a school in Milton Village in the 1881 census referred to as the “Boarding School Milton Village” in Buckland Monachorum Parish, Devon. In 1891 it is listed as a “Private School”. In 1871 it is not listed as a school but has the same head mistress Susan Arnold and a number of boarders listed as scholars. I have not been able to locate any records for this school to see if Edward was there prior to 1891.

I have also found Edward Rayners in the 1881 census in London that are potential matches,

*Frognal Hall St Basils School in Hampstead St Johns listed as a boarder and student aged 7 born in London
    *St Mary’s Roman Catholic School Cresswell Place in Charlton Next Woolwich Kent aged 8
    * Bow living with Ann Young (relative)

I have discounted the last one as Ann turns out to be a great Aunt and this Edward is the child of Albert and Rebecca Rayner.

I have contacted Camden Local studies however they advised they have no records of the St Basils school. I have not investigated the Kent school.

In terms of the Sir George Lewis, the only Sir George I can locate that fits the timeframe is Sir George Henry Lewis the nephew of Sophia Levy Lewis. George Henry Lewis represents Frances Lewis when Edward Tyrrell Lewis divorces her for adultery with Algernon Warner. Frances is Constance's Sister. Edward Tyrrell and Frances are cousins.

I have more information on Constanc's and Edward Tyrrells families. Numerous Chancery cases as they were in the habit of taking each other to court.

Adrian

Adrian
    I will look closely at your most recent posting but in the meantime you might be interested in the following new data I have discovered. I have looked at various records relating to the Jews of Ramsgate Kent and have located:
    Abraham LEVEY LEWIS who has a relationship with the Ramsgate Synagogue in 1829 ( not specified what his role was). Abraham is a bankrupt in 1835- Abraham LEVEY commonly called and known by the name of Abraham Levey Lewis Ramsgate, Kent Dealer in Fancy Goods and Jeweller.
    Earlier on, there is Noah LEVI watchmaker who arrived in Ramsgate in 1789 followed by Henry LEVI also a watchmaker who arrived in 1794- maybe father and son. There are also records of the Lindo and Montefiore being associated with Ramsgate but by 1847 there were only 47 Jews in the town.
    Henry Levi in 1804 is a prisoner in the King's Bench Prison Surrey- Henry Levi late of Ramsgate, Kent Dealer but now in King's Bench Prison.

The Levey Lewis name is of particular interest and I need to discover more about him.
    Phillip

Adrian- see The Rise of Provincial Jewry-The Early Communities, Cecil Roth, Susser Archives online- Roth refers to Noah Edward LEVI (s) born at Canterbury and living at Berque during the reign of Napoleon 1 and suspected by the French secret police of being an English agent. No idea if he is the same Noah Edward Levi connected to the Lewis line but given the Ramsgate link he may well be the same person.
    Phillip

Default Elizabeth Isaacs

Phillip,

I noticed in Catherine MacIntyre's will she refers to Elizabeth Isaacs (Grandmother) and I think Angel? Isaacs (Aunt) living in Great Prescot Street Goodmans Fields. I have located both of them in the 1841 Census at this address.

I notice in information received from Robert that William Levy was an Officer to the Sheriff in 1822 at 7 Prescot Street, Goodmans Fields.

Possible connection with the Isaacs and Levy families?

Adrian
    The National Archives UK Passport Applications FO611 has records ( incomplete) of passport applications up to 1916 and findmypast has sets of records ( pay fee). If Edward was a 'remittance man' who paid for him to settle in Australia?
    I will see if I can locate any information but you have already looked and it may be the data is not there. Worth a further look though.
    Phillip

Phillip

Thanks for the passport records reference. I had another look at the passport and it was issued in Melbourne in 1930. Would he have needed a passport to travel to Australia in 1890/1891 given it was still British colonies until 1901?. We have no idea who payed for Edward to settle in Australia.

BTW I found Angelinia Isaacs visiting Sarah Levy and her 3 daughters ( Eliza, Rebecca and Sophia) in the 1851 Census at 63 Prescott Street Goodmans Fields. She is listed as visitor and not a relation.

Adrian

Phillip
    re post#23 interesting information re Noah Levi watchmaker. I note in the 1861 Census that Sophia has 3 lodgers with her at 20 Woburn Place, Samuel, Flora and Louisa Nathan. Samuel is also a watchmaker. Have previoulsy looked to see if they are related but did not find a connection may be worth checking?
    Adrian

Adrian
    The 1881 Census RG 11 167 99 36- ( Crown Copyright, TNA) Frognall Hall St Basils' Boarding School, Hampstead has Mary A Keogh age 50 widow b London and her son Joseph U 23 School master b Dublin plus Edward Rayner age 7 b London as your earlier post indicates. I see he is listed apart from the other pupils and is at the end of the census with servants. Why was he 'tacked on' at the end?What did you make of the Keogh names? Are these related to Catherine Keogh nee Lewis and her husband?
    Is this Edward who was then sent down to Devon?
    I need to re-mind myself to see if Robert and I were looking for Nathan/Levy/Lewis links.

Adrian
    I can see the Australian Death Index for Edward Rayner Yarra South Victoria died 1942 b abt 1874 parents James Edward Rayner and Constance Lewis. I have also seen his death and brief details of his will plus his divorce.
    Reviewing the various Edward Rayner Births ( including Edward James) on Free BMD plus cross referencing them with Ancestry Com records there are very limited possibilities as you know only too well. It seems to me that the kind of information he had regarding his parents plus his being placed in a boarding school (s) as well as being a remittance man suggest that he is the son of Elizabeth ( Constance) Lewis. Why else would he come to the UK in 1930 and try and make contact. All of this is hard yakka to sort out but I think that Edward is a Levy Lewis born probably illegitimate- why else would his family/relatives threaten him and send him to Oz. What were they afraid of? Who contacted him to tell him about Elizabeth/Constance? Are there any clues in any docs you hold?
    Phillip

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast