Mary Anne

Default 1891 Canadian Census - Occupation help pls

Hello all

I have a Chas. J. PAGE (Charles John PAGE), age 40, in the 1891 Canadian Census in St. Paul's Ward, York East, p. 23, family 106. I'm having trouble making our his occupation and I would value your interpretations. I know from other sources that he was a drygoods merchant, but the occupation in this census is hard for me to read, it looks like "Something Dry-something" and he employs 20 people.

I have posted a crop, but it may be a bit hard to read, so you may wish to look at the whole page somewhere ...

https://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...esJohncrop.jpg

Looking forward to advice from the wonderful eagle-eyes here on the forum!

Thank you!

Mary Anne

Jan1954

It looks like "Merchant Dry Goods" to me.

By the way, the link that you posted did not work and so I found the census page via the Collections Canada website.

gasser

Had a look on original and I am sure the first word is Merchant (scroll up the page and you will see the same word) so possibly Merchant Drygoods (badly written !) ....although it is really hard to tell for definite !!

ooops...... Jan beat me to it !!

Mary Anne

Thank you, folks, you are wizard! I couldn't even get "merchant" from all that, 'tho' if I held my tongue off to the side, I could see "Drygoods" (sort of)

Mary Anne