Daniela Moneta

Default Framptons from Dorset

Hello, I live in the United States in the state of Arizona, home of the Grand Canyon. One of my ancestors was William Frampton (1650-1686) who was a Quaker who come from Dorset. William settled in New York and then moved to Pennsylvania at the suggestion of William Penn. We have researched our Framptons in the United States but have no solid research in England. The fact that William was from Dorset is written in a book published in the early 1900s by Rev. J. S. Wrightnour called The Frampton Family. The author gives not proof of the Framptons being from Dorsetshire except for several places there with Frampton in the place name. We realize that a lot of research needs to be done. We have a Frampton DNA project at Family Tree DNA. My cousin has DNA tested and we are wondering if there are Framptons in England who have DNA tested. If anyone in the area of Dorset would like to correspond about family history, I would be very happy to answer. My email address is: dmoneta AT cox DOT net. A group of our Frampton cousins would like to put an article in the Dorset local newspaper about our research. What newspaper would be best? Would love to hear from you about your Frampton research.

Daniela Moneta
    Last edited by Jan1954; 16-09-2012 at 7:48 PM. Reason: Email address edited to try to foil spammers.

Jan1954

Hello Daniela - welcome to Brit-Gen,

One newspaper that you could try is the Dorset Echo. If you go to their website at dorsetecho.co.uk/ (put https://www. in front) there is a "contact us" link.

Reputation beyond repute

The author gives not proof of the Framptons being from Dorsetshire except for several places there with Frampton in the place name.
    There are places called Frampton in Dorset, Gloucestershire and Lincolnshire. Archer's 19th Century Surname Atlas shows the greatest concentration of the name in the Wimborne area of Dorset. This is purely statistical and tells you nothing about the origins of your ancestors.