Thread: Re- Naval Bases

kcapes

Default Re- Naval Bases

Hello everyone.
    My father in law was a Telegraphist during the war, I've been trying to find out more about what he did and how he was injured. I have written to the Institute of Naval Medicine on my husband's behalf but they will not release any of his record, I also spoke to Naval history branch who ask me to put my question in writing, the response did'nt help at all so I'm hoping someone can help.
    He was on several ships and the record shows he went from Boy Telegraphist to being sent to Excellence which the archive confirmed was an advanced training school, but I have HMS Western Desert and HMS Air HQ I know they were not ships but places but dont have any information about them.
    Can anyone help.
    HMS Ganges 20 Sept 1937 - 6 Marc 1938
    HMS Pembroke 13 April 20 July - 1939
    HMS York 20 1939 - 11 June 1940
    HMS Medway 26 Oct - 26 Oct 1940
    HMS Medway 26 Oct - 26 Nov 1940
    Hms Cavanagh 27 Nov 1940 - 4 Feb 1941
    Hms Medway 5 Feb -10 July 1941
    Hms Western Desert 11 July - 29 Sept 1941
    HMS Air HQ 30 Sept 1941 - 14 April 1942
    HMS Nile 15 April - 27 Oct 1942
    HMS MTB 265 28 Oct - 31 Dec 1942
    HMS Gregale - 1 Jan - 4 Mar 1943
    HMS Pembroke 5 March - 14 March 1943
    HMS Canopus 15 March - 21 March 1943
    HMS Nile 22 March - 23 March 1943
    HMS Assegai 21 April - 5 May 1943
    HMS Pembroke 6 May 1943 - 17 Oct 1945

Nicolina

I'm not really "up" on Royal Navy vessels but I do know that HMS Ganges is a training establishment. HMS Medway was the first large submarine depot ship, commissioned at Devonport in July 1929. From May 1940 until June 1942 she was stationed in the Mediterranean (Alexandria) until she was torpedoed and sunk.

Mutley

I don't know anything either but I found a site that refers to Operation Compass.
    https://
    ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=1

23 Jan 1941 Allied troops captured Tobruk, Libya, but fighting would continue at outposts outside the city for another day. In the harbor, British minesweeping trawlers HMT Arthur Cavanagh and HMT Milford Countess began clearing sunken Italian ships.
    There is a lot of information on there and I have not trawled through to see if there are any other references.
    If you put the link into google it will bring up lots of hits for the site, I suggest you also add Cavanagh or Operation Compass into the search field.
    "World War II Database" should also bring up the home page.

Mutley

According to Wikipedia HMS Ganges was a boys' training centre.
    https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Royal_Navy_shore_establishments
    HMS Pembroke was the name given to a number of shore barracks at Chatham, Harwich and on the Forth.
    Again, search on wikipedia for the dates.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Try this site for HMS Ships WW2 history.

https://www.naval-history.net/xGM-aContents.htm

Keith