pottoka

Default Joseph Albert Lobley in Canada

Joseph Albert Lobley, born in Liverpool in 1840, attended Trinity College, Cambridge, from 1859 to to 1866, where he obtained his B.A. in 1863 and was ordained deacon, then priest in 1864. While at Cambridge, he was curate of Bourn. He became a Fellow in 1865 and obtained his M.A. in 1866.

In 1871 he is in Hamer, Rochdale, where he was Vicar: Class: RG10; Piece: 4126; Folio: 136; Page: 56

In 1881, he was in Canada, in Montreal, where he had been invited to open a theological training school. There is an entry about him in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.

Does anyone have access to ancestry.ca and the 1881 Census for Joseph A. Lobley in Sherbrooke, Quebec, which ancestry.uk is waving tantalisingly under my nose, please?

Ken_R

I don't have access but just confirming that you have seen his entry in Crockford's 1885 at The Lodge, Lennoxville, Canada?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

Province Quebec - District Sherbrooke - Sub District Lenoxville

Joseph A Lobley age 41 - Clergyman - Birthplace England
    Elizabeth A wife age 42 - Birthplace England
    Mary A dau age 13 - Birthplace England
    Julie

pottoka

Thank you, blue eyes.

Is the Canadian Census really as pared down as that? I imagined that there would have been more detail, a bit like their more Southern cousins! Was there an address for the family, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    I don't have access but just confirming that you have seen his entry in Crockford's 1885 at The Lodge, Lennoxville, Canada?
    No, I haven't, Ken, and I am totally in ignorance of Crockford's. Would it be a directory of Anglican ministers, possibly?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

No address on the census image. You can see a transcription of the 1881 census transcription at the Libray and Archives of Canada showing Joseph only. You woud neeed to put in the other names individually.
    Julie

Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    No, I haven't, Ken, and I am totally in ignorance of Crockford's. Would it be a directory of Anglican ministers, possibly?
    Correct. If you have an Ancestry UK account then you have access to it. The easiest way to find it is to Google "Crockfords Clerical Registers on Ancestry." That should take you to the Search page.

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes View Post
    Hi,

No address on the census image. You can see a transcription of the 1881 census transcription at the Libray and Archives of Canada showing Joseph only. You woud neeed to put in the other names individually.
    Strange, it tells me there's no-one of that name on it! I'll try again later. Thank you for your help and also for letting me know that this very useful Canadian site exists.

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    Correct. If you have an Ancestry UK account then you have access to it. The easiest way to find it is to Google "Crockfords Clerical Registers on Ancestry." That should take you to the Search page.
    I Googled it the first time to find where they were hiding it. There's an entry for him in 1874 as well. The second time, I looked for it it in Schools, Directories & Church Histories and couldn't find it under 'C': they've only gone and hidden it away under 'U' at UK, Crockford's Clerical Registers!

Thank you for this tip.

Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    In 1881, he was in Canada, in Montreal, where he had been invited to open a theological training school. There is an entry about him in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.
    If you read the entire entry in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography, you will see that he was no longer in Montreal in 1881. He had been appointed Principal of Bishop's University in Lennoxville in 1878. He held that post until sometime in 1885, when he returned to England. At the time of the 1881 Canadian Census, he was most probably living in the Principal's residence at Bishop's, "the Lodge",
    as mentioned in Crockford's.

hth,
    Victoria

Victoria

Found some more information for you, a book which contains a very detailed account Joseph Lobley's years at Bishop's. You can read it online (pages 91 - 102).

Bishop's University, 1843-1970 - Christopher Nicholl - Google Books.

Victoria