Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    paul.l

Default John Edward Gibson 1907

My wife can't find the birth of her grandfather. He was born in 1907 in Newcastle upon Tyne. His parents William Gibson and Dorothy Gibson nee Wilson were married in July 1904 both aged 19. John Edward had an elder brother James who was born in 1905 and a younger brother William who was born in 1909. We have John Edwards marriage certificate from 1935 showing his age as 28. The family story goes that his birth was never registered but he emigrated to Australia in 1970, surely he needed a passport for that? He died there in 1976. We can't even find him or his family in the 1911 census. If anyone could help with some pointers it would be much appreciated.
    Paul

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are possibles for all three births but noticably they are all registered with just a single christian name.
    Have you checked the entries listed. I have included an early 1908 record as with Christmas many December births don't get registered until the new year. Have you got certificates for the other brothers.

You can order certificates here

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp

If you order on-line specifying certain details and these do not match then the fee is reduced.

Births Mar 1905
    Gibson James Newcastle T. 10b 121
    Births Sep 1905
    Gibson James Newcastle T. 10b 17
    Births Dec 1905
    Gibson James Newcastle T 10b 83
    Gibson James Newcastle T 10b 112

Births Dec 1907
    GIBSON John Newcastle T. 10b 19
    Births Mar 1908
    Gibson John Newcastle T. 10b 320

Births Jun 1909
    GIBSON William Newcastle T. 10b 23
    Births Sep 1909
    Gibson William Newcastle T. 10b 134

Mutley

What was the occupation of John's father, William, on his marriage certificate?

paul.l

Hi Raffaele,
    Thanks for the entries that you have found. We do have the certificate for William. I didn't realise that you could order certificates with conditions to be met. We will order the two John's and see how it comes out.
    Paul

paul.l

Hi Mutley,
    Thanks for your interest. William the dad is shown as a crane driver.

Mutley

I have searched high and low in 1911 using all combinations I can think of but...
    sorry, I cannot find them.

There were apparently, ways of emigrating to Australia and Canada on assisted passenger schemes where a passport was not required. Migrants were issued with a Document of Identity by the Australian Government that was valid for single journey.

Google for 'Ten Pound Poms' I think that was one of the terms in use but I am not sure of the dates it applied to, perhaps the 1950s. The price probably went up by the 1970s.

paul.l

John's father, William is a Labourer on the marriage certificate in 1904, and living at 89 Industrial swellings. When Dorothy died in May 1912 they were living at 83 Industrial dwellings.William was a Labourer (steel works) on the death certificate.
    Thanks
    Paul

Mutley

I don't know Newcastle at all so am batting a sticky wicket here.
    If they were in Industrial Dwellings in 1904 and 1912 they may have been there in 1911.

I entered Industrial Dwellings into the 1911 address search and as to be expected - nada.

Where were Industrial Dwellings? what road or street, what were they?
    I did a quick google and found in about 1881 they were in Jubilee Road. That helps.
    Jubilee Road in 1911 has an Industrial School. There is a William Gibson in the school born Newcastle but he is 15 years old, so not yours.

I am not any nearer at the moment and I have to go to bed tonight but I would like to find out exactly where these dwellings were, what they were and the history of them. It may just point you in the right direction.

Amanha!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I have searched high and low in 1911 using all combinations I can think of but...
    sorry, I cannot find them.

There were apparently, ways of emigrating to Australia and Canada on assisted passenger schemes where a passport was not required. Migrants were issued with a Document of Identity by the Australian Government that was valid for single journey.

Google for 'Ten Pound Poms' I think that was one of the terms in use but I am not sure of the dates it applied to, perhaps the 1950s. The price probably went up by the 1970s.
    Thats correct Mutley we were 10 pound poms, 1956, and came on a migrant document of identity, ours was lost over the years which caused me a headache when I wanted to get naturalised!

paul.l

I just searched Industrial Dwellings Newcastle as well and found them as listed. Built in 1869 as housing for industial workers. Located on Garth Heads and opposite the Keelmans Hospital where Dorothy's family lived.
    Yes my parents were 'Ten Pound Poms' and came to Australia in 1965 and John followed a few years later but there is no proof of how he got here.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast