Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default Reading old wills

Not sure whether to put this here or in the 'Reading Old Documents' forum (I could only see 1 thread in there so wondered if it might be more likely to be seen here!).

Anyway, I've got 3 wills I'm trying to decipher, all written in pretty much the same sort of script. They're from 1828, 1835 and 1866. I'm having real trouble deciphering them due to the size of the writing (I'm trying to do it zoomed in on the screen to help), and the legalese. The 1866 one is a particular nightmare as it's pretty much three full pages (the other two are only half a page each).

So I wondered if there were any good websites out there that cover a) the sort of text that it is (I can scan a bit of one of them and post a pic - i'm not sure if the 'font' would have a particular name) and b) the typical terminology that was used (is still used?) in wills?

Thanks!

Jan1954

Hi Jane,

You may find this to be of help as well as this.

However, in the meantime, perhaps post a snippet on this thread so that those who are able to read it could advise. Instructions on how to do this are here.

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks for those. Just trying to sort out posting a snippet, my scanner's not co-operating!

A fountain of knowledge

Here's a chunk out of the 1866 will:

A fountain of knowledge

I've just found THIS tutorial which looks a very similar writing, so I'm going to try going through that later this evening when I don't have a five year old pestering me.

But if anyone else can help with other useful sites (particularly on the legalese side of things) I'd be grateful.

CanadianCousin

I think the script is called Chancery or Secretary hand (I don't recall the difference at the moment). In any event, I've just had a quick go at transcribing those parts that I can make out and this is what I came up with:

…lutely I give and bequeath all my [?] estate and interest in the White [?] [?]
    wherein I now reside unto my dear wife her executors administrators and assigns
    absolutely subject to the payment of the rent and performance of the [covenants?]
    stipulations and [?] on my part attesting the same I give and ~
    bequeath to my said wife for her absolute benefit all my [ready?] money in my
    house and all monies [obtaining?] at my decease to my [remit?] at the [London?] [&?]
    County Bank Shoreditch or at any other Bankers and also all my pictures ~
    prints books plate linen [?] wines liquors household goods and furniture and all
    my [live?] and [?] farming [stock?] and implements of husbandry and all other my
    chattels and effects which at the time of my decease shall be in and about my said
    dwellinghouse and farm I give and devise all my real estate (except what I have
    otherwise devised by this my will) unto my said wife and [?] [Joynor?] of ~
    Church Street Within aforesaid [Builder?] their heirs executors and administrators respectively
    according to the nature and tenure thereof upon trust that they my said wife and the
    said [?] Joynor or the survivor of [?] or the heirs executors or administrators

Hope this helps in deciphering some of the rest.

Tim

CanadianCousin

Jane -

I don't know whether you've forgotten, but you did start an earlier thread on this topic in May 2009. At that time you seemed to be well on your way to transcribing this particular will. I also see that there were a number of URLs given for help in reading old handwriting.

Good luck!

Tim

A fountain of knowledge

I'd forgotten all about that, and hadn't got any further with it unfortunately so had decided to pick it up again. I'll have another look at that thread.

MythicalMarian

I read the beneficiary as Frederick Joyner of Church Street, Hitchin (i.e. the town in Herts) - otherwise I think Tim has it spot on. And I can't decipher that word before the first 'estate' in the piece either, and the 'White Bebb....' is too squashed at this resolution to read. But it's 'to my credit' where Tim has 'to my ?remit'. Also insert 'china' between 'linen' and 'wines', and the farming stock is 'all my live and dead' farming stock - presumably some of the cattle would have been slaughtered perhaps for market.

That last line on the bottom ....'or the survivor of them' (where Tim has a question mark for 'them'). Can't see anything else.

A fountain of knowledge

Yep, the names are correct, Frederick Joyner was his brother in law, and they were from Hitchin. The bit at the top is actually White Webbs Farm, but I only know that because I know where he lived! I'm OK working out a lot of the more everyday words, and names when I am already familiar with them, it's the stuff in between that's a pain!

Hoping to have a good look at links today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast