Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    LisaMary

I should say as well as we are told he was at University School London

Lisa
    See Jamaican Family Search Genealogy website for wide ranging records on Jewish individuals - births, marriages, deaths etc. That was the source for data on Asher Asher. The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Publisher Robert Boyd- E L ASHER " Among successful candidates at the examination for appointments to the Public Works Department in India, held at the India Office this June... Mr E L Asher. He was third on the list.." 19.7.1861
    He is Edward Lucas Asher eldest son of Asher Asher. This data links to my earlier post.
    Phillip

LisaMary

Thanks again Philip, I'll have a search for the Jamaican site. I found a digital library copy if the Jewish Victorian handily - grabbed a screen shot which I've attached to him. There's also another Edward Asher years earlier in India no idea if related yet & also another in Jamaica having children in the 1880's I thought it might be his son but haven't found a marriage for him yet & his obituary doesn't mention a wife. Perhaps the Jamaican site will reveal all.
    Best Wishes
    Lisa

LisaMary

Default More missing people

hi Philip,

Hope you are well? Another dead end I wonder if you had any info on. The Dove's husband was Moses Ben Hanoj A'Cohen. His father Hanoj seems to have been known as Enoch & was also a confectioner. He died in 1827 & is reputed to have been born in Portugal in 1762. He appears as Hanoj in 2 burial records for his 1st child still born & for his last child with first wife Buena, Hannah in 1792. He marries Buene in 1780 & remarried Judith Abendana in 1792. Doubting his name was Cohen in Portugal at that time. No more leads, any ideas please?.

Thanks
    Lisa

Lisa
    I noted on several Ancestry.Com family trees that the name Hanoj was also linked to Hanoch fopr Eliau Hanoj Enoch A'Cohen.
    If you look on First Names in Sephardi Communities Ora ( Rodrigue) Schwarzwald ( online) you will see reference to the first name Hanokh which is identified as a rare name. There is also Hanoj from Turkey - Dedicated: Father of Metushelah ( Genesis 5.18)- Sephardic Gen Given names in the Sephardic Diaspora. Mathilde Tagger. I also note Hanoj in Macedonia.
    My advice is to look carefully at the first name Hanoch and Hanokh plus derivations because the name also appears to be used as both a first and last name.
    You might also want to look at the name origins in Turkey as well as Portugal given the diaspora movement of individuals and families over time.
    Phillip

LisaMary

Many Thanks Philip

Loves to help with queries

Replying to an old post but still one which it would be nice to sort out Our mysterious Enoch Cohen confectioner ! on looking through Bevis Marks Aliens List dated 1802 I find listed

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567