Unclehefty

Default John and Julia (Juliet) A Elliott

I have been progressing quite nicely with the construction of our Family Tree (even following a few leads down cul de sacs) however, I have got to a point with a couple of ancestors and need to go further. Thus far I have census records for the above family that places them in or around the Forest of Dean between 1851 and 1861 - their eldest son, William, is listed as being born in the FOD 1856 and I have traced his birth records via the Forest Of Dean Parish site, however, what I need to know is the Mother's maiden name and that is my brick wall. We had thought it could be Naughton or any derivative and my wife had conversations with her Father that suggested Julia A was born in Newry, Co Armagh around 1829. But it has proven more difficult than I had ever thought to discern her history. Can anyone assist me getting round, or through, this brick wall (I can bring my own jack-hammer:-) )

Uncle H

Jan1954

Hello Uncle H - welcome to Brit-Gen,

What you need to do is to lay your hands on a copy of William's birth certificate as that will show the maiden name of his Mum on it. Click here to see the information that a birth certificate has therein.

I have just had a look at the births registered for William ELLIOTT in 1856, and there are two in the Westbury on Severn Registration district that might be him. Both of these are in the June quarter of 1856. You could apply to the GRO for the certificate, stipulating that the mother's name is Julia or Juliet, and you should get the right one.

Unclehefty

Thanks Jan1954,

I actually have the Parish details, so I might give it a go. However, I thought that the Maiden Name wasn't on until after 1912, but anything is worth a try.

Here goes nothing (or more prosaically, here goes £24).

Uncle H (BTW thanks for the warm welcome)

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Unclehefty View Post
    Here goes nothing (or more prosaically, here goes £24).
    How much??????

A certificate will only cost you £9.25 if obtained from the GRO here.

Maiden names only showed up in the index from about 1912 - they have always been on the certificates themselves. Well, since the certificates came in on 1st July 1837...

Mutley

According to the census John came from Scotland and Julia from Ireland. There are a few John Elliott marriages on FreeBMD prior to 1856 but I cannot see one that looks right. Of course they may have married anywhere.

Do you have them in the 1851 census?

I think this is probably a case where you have to buy a birth certificate to provide definite proof.

Unclehefty

If you are happy to wait - the 'express' service costs £23 something. I just wish you could buy a digital copy online. :-( But that's life isn't it. In fact I chose to wait - its been 160 years since they got hitched, whats 15 days:-)

Unclehefty

I have a couple of 1851 Censuses - England and Scotland. The issue I have is that I don't know where they were immediately before William was born. Given that he (John) is a miner it is possible that he went where the work was and there are definitely mines in and around the Forest of Dean. For the moment I've put it on the back burner while I check out the father's side of the family. This is great fun but I wish I had the resources that Annie Lennox had at her disposal tonight:-)

Mutley

I just wish you could buy a digital copy online. :-(
    Don't we all?

This is great fun but I wish I had the resources that Annie Lennox had at her disposal tonight:-)
    Don't we all?

Welcome to the forum Uncle H.
    Please come back and tell us the results of Williams birth, especially the address!