Default Trying to find my way around wills

I'v joined Origons.net and have done a search on Richard Brooks and have come up with a will in Witney dated 1837 Affidavit, 225.58; 252/1/24 but how do i get to see an origonal copy?, looking at oxfordshires heritage site doesnt seem to help much.

Sincerely,

Stephen Saffin.

Reputation beyond repute

I recommend the reference book Probate Jurisdictions: Where to Look for Wills by Gibson & Churchill. It's a useful one for the genealogy bookshelf.

The book includes a list of published indexes which might help with your reference (I don't know where Origins got it from) although what you've given us isn't enough to be useful.

If it's not a PCC will (you'll obviously have checked that). it was most likely to have been proved at the Consistory or Archdeacon's Court of Oxford.

These records are held at the Oxfordshire Record Office who presumably will be able to supply a copy. The will won't be online. The charges and an application form are.

janbooth

Stephen,

A site to bear in mind if you are looking for Oxfordshire wills, is Oxfordshire Family History Society's website. There are many Oxfordshire will transcriptions on their site, but unfortunately your Richard does not seem to be one of them. However, there are quite of few mentions of the BROOKS name at Witney, so it could be worth your while to have a look.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Origins are working with the Oxfordshire History Centre to digitise wills and put them online. Target dates have come and gone over the last couple of years, but I gather digitisation is now complete and they are at the sorting and checking stage. When they do go online I expect to need (a) something to calm Mrs K down a bit; (b) an increase in broadband download limit; (c) to learn how to look after myself for a couple of months .

In the meantime, the only way to see a will is to go to the Oxfordshire History Centre or to contact them (with the reference as found) to ask how much a photocopy would cost.

Arthur

Default oxford wills

i know of the site but not where the will section is, can you supply more info please?

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Stephen,

A site to bear in mind if you are looking for Oxfordshire wills, is Oxfordshire Family History Society's website. There are many Oxfordshire will transcriptions on their site, but unfortunately your Richard does not seem to be one of them. However, there are quite of few mentions of the BROOKS name at Witney, so it could be worth your while to have a look.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by stephensaffin View Post
    i know of the site but not where the will section is, can you supply more info please?
    On the Oxfordshire FHS home page, scroll down a little and it's towards the bottom of the left hand menu - one of the items under Web Resources.

Arthur