Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NChittenden

Default Lawrence Arthur Jacobs / Johnson

I will apologise now, for this is likely to sound very complicated.

Lawrence Arthur J Jacobs is registered as being born in Wandsworth in July 1899. By the 1901 Lawrence Arthur Jacobs has become Lawrence Arthur Johnson, the change of name is known as some of Lawrence's children state that is what happened. To confuse things even more Lawrence A J Barleycorn is registered at the same time of birth, Barleycorn was Lawrence Arthur Jacobs mother's maiden name.

In the 1901 census Lawrence Arthur's parents are Henry Lawrence Johnson and Sarah Johnson nee Barleycorn (by 1911 she is Florence Sarah). Prior to this there is no record of either in any census or no birth registry that is certain (under those names) nor is there a marriage registry.

The closest link to Henry Lawrence Johnson is Lawrence Frederick Jacobs, who was married to a Jessie Leppard (possibly Sheppard). They are living together in 1891 but by 1901 both have disappeared. There is no death registry for either but a Jessie Jacobs does appear as a housemaid and widow in 1911.

I know the only way to find a change of name would be to go to Kew but I suspect that the name change was not done legally. Furthermore the suggestion in the family has been that Henry Lawrence Johnson (possibly Lawrence Frederick Jacobs) was a bigamist. Henry Lawrence Johnson married again in 1925 after Sarah / Florence Barleycorn's death.

I have a number of questions that I would like answered but the whole thing just seems like a mystery that will never be solved. Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Brick wall demolition expert!

1891 census..What about the Sarah Barleycorn-patient-same birth place- Balham-brn 1882 South Western Hospitals RG12; Piece: 416; Folio: 152; Page: 7

NChittenden

I have seen the 1891 census before with Sarah Barleycorn registered as a hospital patient. I have also seen the same Sarah's birth registry as well as a possible admission to a school in 1895. However these all list Sarah as being born in 1882.

I realise that dates of birth were often not correct on the census but this would make it was five and seven years out. In 1901 Sarah has 1877 and in 1911 Florence Sarah has 1875.

Sarah Ann 1882, could well be my Sarah. However the once again no Sarah Barleycorn is registered as having married Henry Lawrence Johnson / Jacobs. The link is possible but currently unprovable. It also leads me to ask why is she suddenly called Florence in 1911 is that was not her middle name.

Quote Originally Posted by NChittenden View Post
    I will apologise now, for this is likely to sound very complicated.

Lawrence Arthur J Jacobs is registered as being born in Wandsworth in July 1899. By the 1901 Lawrence Arthur Jacobs has become Lawrence Arthur Johnson, the change of name is known as some of Lawrence's children state that is what happened. To confuse things even more Lawrence A J Barleycorn is registered at the same time of birth, Barleycorn was Lawrence Arthur Jacobs mother's maiden name.

In the 1901 census Lawrence Arthur's parents are Henry Lawrence Johnson and Sarah Johnson nee Barleycorn (by 1911 she is Florence Sarah). Prior to this there is no record of either in any census or no birth registry that is certain (under those names) nor is there a marriage registry.

The closest link to Henry Lawrence Johnson is Lawrence Frederick Jacobs, who was married to a Jessie Leppard (possibly Sheppard). They are living together in 1891 but by 1901 both have disappeared. There is no death registry for either but a Jessie Jacobs does appear as a housemaid and widow in 1911.

I know the only way to find a change of name would be to go to Kew but I suspect that the name change was not done legally. Furthermore the suggestion in the family has been that Henry Lawrence Johnson (possibly Lawrence Frederick Jacobs) was a bigamist. Henry Lawrence Johnson married again in 1925 after Sarah / Florence Barleycorn's death.

I have a number of questions that I would like answered but the whole thing just seems like a mystery that will never be solved. Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Re Lawrence A J Barleycorn registered Wandsworth 1899 there is a Eleanor Clara S Barleycorn registered on the same month year District Volume and page number ..Eleanor is on 1901/1911 census listed as born Balham with parents Charles and Jemima Barleycorn....RG13; Piece: 475; Folio: 48; Page: 28
    maybe a relation to your Sarah/Florence..Could be worth following back on Charles family, 1891 he is noted as Born Balham, no sibling Sarah but this is the same census where the sarah I noted is a patient in hospital..
    Class: RG12; Piece: 456; Folio: 49; Page: 42
    Charles Henry Barleycorn married Jemima Fisher St Marys Baltham 1897 witnesses Sophia Barleycorn and Alfred Woodcock..
    May not be related at all but Barleycorn and from Baltham chances are they are related in some way with your Sarah.

NChittenden

Thank you again, I have also noted this as a possibility before. However without a definite marriage certificate between Sarah / Florence and Henry / Lawrence, it is very difficult to verify any information on Henry / Sarah prior to 1901.

I will order the birth certificate of Lawrence Barleycorn because I think there is a distinct possibility that he is illegitimate. Though why this means he would be registered twice I do not know. On the birth certificate of Lawrence Arthur Jacobs his parents are registered as Lawrence Jacobs and Sarah Barleycorn (it does not say nee Barleycorn).

NChittenden

A cousin of Charles Henry's is Florence Barleycorn (b.1873, Stepney), daughter of Jacob and Sarah Anne. It is possible that Florence was a middle name or Florence was just Florence Sarah. She disappears after the 1881 census meaning it could be her in hospital in 1891.

However there is no birth record for a Florence or a Sarah around the time stated in the census. One door opens and presents two more.
    Last edited by NChittenden; 23-08-2012 at 1:52 AM. Reason: Corrections

Quote Originally Posted by NChittenden View Post
    Thank you again, I have also noted this as a possibility before. However without a definite marriage certificate between Sarah / Florence and Henry / Lawrence, it is very difficult to verify any information on Henry / Sarah prior to 1901.

I will order the birth certificate of Lawrence Barleycorn because I think there is a distinct possibility that he is illegitimate. Though why this means he would be registered twice I do not know. On the birth certificate of Lawrence Arthur Jacobs his parents are registered as Lawrence Jacobs and Sarah Barleycorn (it does not say nee Barleycorn).
    Real possiblility that for one reason or another Lawrence and sarah never married, harder to explain is why she calls herself Florence when she is Sarah on the birth cert and Sarah on the 01 census.

Reputation beyond repute

I will order the birth certificate of Lawrence Barleycorn
    You may already have it.

Though why this means he would be registered twice I do not know.
    Being indexed twice is not the same as being registered twice. It is common practice for the GRO to index a single registration under more than one surname if the surname isn't obvious. As you know, a child's surname was not explicitly stated on a birth certificate until very much later.

In the case of an illegitimate child (the father and mother having different surnames) the assumption is that the child could take either the mother's or the father's surname. Therefore they index it twice.

So I don't think you need to place that order.

Reputation beyond repute

it does not say nee Barleycorn.
    And you never will find the word née on an English/Welsh certificate. Née means born ie the name at birth. The word 'formerly' on a birth certificate introduces the mother's maiden name, which is the surname used when she first married. This would not necessarily be her birth name. A girl's name may change between birth and marriage for many reasons, the remarriage of her mother being an obvious one.

This is not nit-picking - avoiding this misunderstanding can save a lot of time and frustration.

In my opinion, to avoid ambiguity, it's best to avoid using the word née in genealogical discussions (unless you're French, of course ).

NChittenden

I did realise that nee was wrong as soon as I had posted it, the certificate does not say 'formerly Barleycorn'. I shall make sure to be more specific (and correct) in future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast