Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NChittenden

I have, today, received a copy of the death certificate of Lawrence Arthur (b.1899 d.1967). He was registered as Lawrence Arthur Jacobs otherwise Johnson. He was registered by his son Lawrence Arthur Johnson.

It seems very likely now that the name was changed, whether legally or not, from Jacobs to Johnson between 1899 and 1901. If it was done legally then there would a record of it in the National Archives at Kew but I think that is quite unlikely.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by NChittenden View Post
    If it was done legally then there would a record of it in the National Archives at Kew but I think that is quite unlikely.
    Please be aware that, as long as there is no intent to defraud to commit crime, there is no reason why a person cannot be known by another name. This is still legal, without having gone through the deed poll process.

You may be interested in reading this TNA Guide regarding name changes.

NChittenden

Thanks Jan, I was not aware of that.

Though there is still the possibility that Henry Lawrence Johnson (father of Lawrence Arthur Jacobs / Johnson) was married to someone other than Sarah Barleycorn. If Henry Lawrence was Lawrence F Jacobs then he was married Jessie Leppard. There is not a death registry for either between 1891 and 1901 (that I can find) nor is there a divorce record. Equally there is no marriage record for Henry Lawrence and Sarah Barleycorn.

If, and that is a big if, this all correct. Then how / why could he have abandoned his wife and never married the mother of his children.

I should also point out a lot of my information on the events of things come from Lawrence Arthur Johnson / Jacobs (1899) grandchildren. Some of whom, to this day, insist that there was a mysterious event / reason for the change of name and that Henry Lawrence was a shady person. Though how much of this is gossip and how much is fact I do not know.

NChittenden

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    1891 census..What about the Sarah Barleycorn-patient-same birth place- Balham-brn 1882 South Western Hospitals RG12; Piece: 416; Folio: 152; Page: 7
    It appears that this Sarah is my Sarah. I will not go into the further research I have done but Sarah is the most likely candidate. However my new problem is the identity of Sarah's parents.

The London, England, School Admissions and Discharges, 1840-1911 show Sarah as a child of Jacob Barleycorn. The only Jacob Barleycorn that I can find was married to Caroline Brown and died in 1888. His father was also called Jacob but had a daughter born in 1858 called Sarah, who married Frank Packham.

Would Jacob still be listed as a parent on the school admission if he was deceased? Is there anyway of finding more information about the hospital admission?

Jan1954

Is there anyway of finding more information about the hospital admission?
    Having a look at the Hospital Records database, it seems that the admission and discharge records for 1871 to 1906 are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.

NChittenden

Having had a quick look it appears that the Admissions Records for the South Western Hospital go from 1871 to 1876. I would add that from personal experience of the LMA, they are not the most easy to navigate / helpful organisation in the world.

Edit: From what I can tell Sarah was most likely suffering from Smallpox or some other kind of infectious disease common to the age.

Mutley

It appears that this Sarah is my Sarah. I will not go into the further research I have done but Sarah is the most likely candidate. However my new problem is the identity of Sarah's parents.

The London, England, School Admissions and Discharges, 1840-1911 show Sarah as a child of Jacob Barleycorn. The only Jacob Barleycorn that I can find was married to Caroline Brown and died in 1888. His father was also called Jacob but had a daughter born in 1858 called Sarah, who married Frank Packham.

Would Jacob still be listed as a parent on the school admission if he was deceased? Is there anyway of finding more information about the hospital admission?
    There is a Jacob and Sarah Barleycorn in the 1881 living at 7 Balham New Road, Streatham.
    They have quite a few children the youngest being 1 year so could be early in 1880 and if Sarah was theirs she might have been born late in 1882. I've not had time to follow them on yet so will reserve judgement at the moment. Just chucking it in your pot.

1881: RG11/Piece: 665, Folio 32, Page 4
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

Mutley

There is a baptism on 26 Feb 1837 at Clapham Holy Trinity of a Jacob Barleycorn. Son of William and Martha.

I was having a quick look at this family earlier, I scribbled a few notes but did not have time to note sources.
    William and Martha also had a Charles born about 1831 and a Sarah born about 1836.
    Charles married 1. Elizabeth Lambert in 1857 and 2. Sophia Ann White in 1883.
    They had a Charles born in 1878. Sophia may have been his mother and the witness on his marriage.

That is if this is the Charles (mentioned in Post #4 by Valg) who was married to Jemima and had Eleanor.

NChittenden

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There is a Jacob and Sarah Barleycorn in the 1881 living at 7 Balham New Road, Streatham.
    They have quite a few children the youngest being 1 year so could be early in 1880 and if Sarah was theirs she might have been born late in 1882. I've not had time to follow them on yet so will reserve judgement at the moment. Just chucking it in your pot.

1881: RG11/Piece: 665, Folio 32, Page 4
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)
    Jacob and Sarah had a daughter Sarah Anne who was born in 1858, who married Frank Packham(?). Jacob had a brother Charles who I suspect was mentioned by Valg. Jacob and Sarah had a son Jacob born in 1860 and died in 1888, married to Caroline Brown. There cannot be that many Jacob Barleycorns in the Balham area (famous last words), it must be one of them!

Mutley

You are right, must be one of them!!
    As far as I can see William and Martha had at least 10 children between about 1818 - 1837, six were sons.
    Each of those sons married and seemed to go on to have large families with more children, they being the grandchildren of William and Martha. At a rough guess born from the 1850s to about the 1880s.
    (Isaac, William, John, Henry, Charles and Jacob)

I am not really sure where I am going with this but I am trying to work out if your Sarah born about 1882 could have been a grandchild or a great grandchild. Could she have been the daughter of Jacob, the son of one of the others above.

Does not help that I just cannot find sight nor sound of her amongst the hundreds of Barleycorns I've looked at.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast