Barnzzz

Default A technophobe's day

Hi, this isn't a request for help, just a comment on a technophobe's day ...............

1. My printer recently went 'grind, bang, phut ' and I had to buy a new one. My son installed it for me today.

2, After son had gone home, I found that a Windows update meant I was unable to connect to the Internet. Following advice from BT, I had to do a system restore to a date before the update. I found out how to do this and did it.

3. I then realised that the printer was no longer installed and had to do it again.

4. I then realised (after googling my problems) that Windows would automatically install updates again, and that the same problem would ensue tommorrow if I didn't set my own restore point.

5. I then had to find out how to set a new restore point and tell Windows not to do any updates without asking me first. I did this.

6. Feeling happy with all I'd done and confident that I wasn't a technophobe after all ( probably an optmistic opinion), I went online, only to find that the Windows update had restarted a Windows Firewall (previously switched off when Mccafe* was installed) and that it wouldn't allow access to any websites that weren't on an approved list.

7. I then had to find out (a) whether I should switch off the Windows Firewall and (b) having confirmed I should switch it off, how to do this. I've switched it off.

I'm sure that these are all simple problems, but to make me feel better, I'd just like to say, loudly,...........IT'S NOT EASY FOR ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now sitting here on my PC waiting for the next problem.................

Mary Anne

Barnzz

The next technical steps are these:

1. shut off computer

2. pour wine (beer, or other preferred alcoholic beverage)

3. put feet up

4. enjoy a technology free period of indeterminate length (preferably as long as possible).

Always works for me! ;-))

Mary Anne

Barnzzz

Sounds like a good plan !

Sue