Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    I did notice that the Gloucestershire FHS have available a Burials Index CD, covering the Gloucester Diocese
    Also available via our sponsors.

Jim Davis

Try as I may, I simply cannot find William and Mary in the 1841 census. His parents were in Stanway district 11 and Mary's parents were in Temple Guiting. My efforts have been exclusively in Ancestry.com/uk. Don't know if that has any bearing.

Any suggestions as to how/where else I might look?

Thanks a bunch

Ken_R

Jim, keep in mind that the area you are looking is very close to the Worcestershire border. Think towards Evesham. Laverton, Bredon, Alderton, etc.

Jim Davis

I'll give that a try. Thanks. English geography is not one of my strong suites

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Try as I may, I simply cannot find William and Mary in the 1841 census. His parents were in Stanway district 11 and Mary's parents were in Temple Guiting. My efforts have been exclusively in Ancestry.com/uk. Don't know if that has any bearing.
    In post #1 you say that William junior was born on 14 Feb. 1841. Do you have a birth certificate for him, and (if so) have you browsed through the census enumerators' books for the area where he was born? Stait is the sort of name that can be spelled a multitude of ways, and transcribers' errors just add to the problem (on that marriage certificate you posted, the 'St' in Stait could easily have been read as an 'H', so Hait is one possible mis-transcription).

If you haven't already done so, I would follow Peter Goodey's advice earlier in this thread to browse through the census enumerators' books page by page, looking for your people. You can do this on Ancestry using their 'Browse' facility rather than the surname search. Let us know if you need instructions!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234