Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ken_R

Stanway came to my mind as well, through knowledge of the area.

In 1881 Hornsleasow (sp!) Farm was the home of the Meadows family.

RG11, Piece 2564, Folio 11, Page 15.

Ken_R

A modern day photo of the farm.

Coromandel

Jim, you can see old maps of the area at old-maps.co.uk (put www. in front).

Put in coordinates 412300, 232150 and press 'Go'. Wait for the modern map to load: it should be centred on the farm.

You can then switch to old maps using the right-hand menu. On one of them the farm is called Horn's Leazor.

Jim Davis

It has been 5 or 6 months since I started posting here on the Stait(e) family. Everyone's help has been great. Thanks!!!!

What I now know is:

William Stait (Jr.) b. 7 Apr, 1813 Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England occupation: farmer
    Parents William Staite b. abt 1786 England d. before 1861 occupation: farmer
    Lucy (Cook) Stait b. 1783 Toddington, Gloucestershire d. 20 Feb, 1868 Gretton, Winchcombe
    William and Lucy married 17 Jan, 1814 Toddington (it appears they were married after two children were born)

William (Jr.) married
    Mary Norton b. abt 1818 England d. abt. 1852 Canada
    Parents: George Norton ????? Mary ??????

William (Jr) and Mary Norton married 13 Aug 1839 North Cotswold, Temple Guiting, Gloucestershire

William and Mary's children (4 born in England)
    William b. 14 Feb 1841 Cheltenham, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire d. 17 Jan 1929 Ontario Canada
    George b. Gloucestershire d. ?? Canada
    Thomas b. 1845 England d. Canada
    Lucy Ann b. 1849 Cheltenham, Winchcombe d. Canada

In 1851 the entire family immigrated to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

I have additional information for them in Canada, but I am confining here to England.

Questions:
    1. Since I am having problems with maps, how far are these boroughs/towns/districts located from each other. Cheltenham, Temple Guiting, Hornsleasow Stanway, Toddington, Gloucester. I am just trying to get an idea of how close these events/people were to each other.

2. William Staite (Sr.) apparently dropped the e from the end of his name and his son was William Stait (no e). He in turn had a son named William Stait. Were they William I, II and III, or Sr., Jr., ???. Not sure how these things are conjugated.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    On one of them the farm is called Horn's Leazor.
    Coromandel, That looks like it is a match for what appears on their marriage certificate. Unless someone comes up with something else, I think you have hit thenail on the head.

Thanks so much. Assuming Mary moved to William's residence when they were married (Horn's Leazor) I was wondering how far they moved to where their first child was born in Cheltenham.

You have solved another "mystery" on my tree :-)

Jim

Ken_R

Jim. Firstly remember that references to Gloucester often mean Gloucestershire, the County. Cheltenham is the major town nearest to these villages, hamlets, and is about 10 miles away.

Temple Guiting, Hornsleasow Stanway, Toddington, are all about a 30minute walk from each other. Certainly no more than an hour. And Rural people were used to walking in those days.

By car, about 5 minutes or so.

Cheltenham would have been the Registration District for any BMD's.

Jim Davis

Is Gloucester the city, and Gloucestershire the county?

Jim

Dizzy600

Hi Jim,

Gloucestershire is the county. Cheltenham the largest city in Gloucestershire, followed by the city of Gloucester.

Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy600 View Post
    Hi Jim,

Gloucestershire is the county. Cheltenham the largest city in Gloucestershire, followed by the city of Gloucester.
    Gloucester Population 2012 = 123,205
    Cheltenham Population 2012 = 115,300

Roughly the same size, and certainly both are 'rough' in parts.

Jim, this is probably on the wrong thread but, I did notice that the Gloucestershire FHS have available a Burials Index CD, covering the Gloucester Diocese (as opposed to the Bristol Diocese) i.e. The North of the County as opposed to the South, for £15.

Which might prove less expensive (in the long run) as opposed to purchasing certificates based 'on a hunch'.

That said, unless the Index includes Memorial Inscriptions, then all you are likely to be able to see is a Date, Name, Abode & Age.

Worth considering?

Ken_R

An aside, for a number of years, when entering Cheltenham from the North, there was a graffiti decorated wall that bore the words, "Kill the Goverment". Below which was spray painted, "Learn to Spell".

It always amused me when I saw it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast