Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    janbooth

Thanks, Sue, you beat me to the Gloucs FHS information for Jim.

Jim,

A sibling for your William (source Gloucs FHS Baptismal Index 1813-37):

31 March 1816 at Toddington David STAITE son of William & Lucy, Labourer, Toddington

Janet

Jim Davis

To all

From his obituary I know that William Stait and his family immigrated from England to Canada in 1851. Was there a "popular" port of departure from UK back then, and can anyone venture a guess as to his probable port of arrival in the US? I know of one other Canadian ancestor (from Germany) that landed in New York and then went by train to Canada.

Also, thanks for the photo offer Dizzy. I might just take you up on it.

Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Janet
    Thanks for the add of David Staite. The family is beginning to grow. I have found birth and death dates for Lucy (Cook) Staite and have ordered her death certificate. You folks are a great help.

Jim

Dizzy600

Happy to help. Let me know when your ready. You can send a PM by clicking on dizzy600.

Karen

Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy600 View Post
    Hi Jim,

I am about 16 miles from Temple Guitering
    Karen
    I'm probably closer.

Just bear in mind that any requests for photographs of headstones involve, old shoes, trowel, bucket, brush, etc, to clear away nearly 200 years of crud and algae, and then probably a 2nd visit when the Sun is in the best position.

I know a Phil Stayte, a possible derivation of the name, who may originate from that area.

https://www.westmercia.police.uk/loca...own-north-etn-

I'll ask him when I next see him.

Jim Davis

Default Marriage certificate

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    As a start for you, if you obtain William and Mary's marriage certificate, this should give you the name of their fathers. Looking at the Gloucestershire BMD, they married in 1839...

1839 : STAIT William, NORTON Mary, North Cotswolds, Temple Guiting St Mary
    I have obtained a Certified Copy of the marriage certificate for William Stait and Mary Norton. Many thanks for everone's help in directing me on how to get it. It includes the "residence at the time of marriage". For Mary it shows Temple Guiting, but for William I am totally unable to make out the writing. To someone familiar with boroughs/towns/districts in the area it may be more legible. Unfortunately, it does not appear I can post a copy here for you to see. Are there some other ways I might be able to post an image for someone to look at??

My best guess at deciphering the residence would be "Harken's Leasour Hanway". Sound even remotely familiar to anyone??

Thanks

Jim Davis
    Last edited by Jim Davis; 04-02-2013 at 5:27 PM. Reason: Additional data

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    To someone familiar with boroughs/towns/districts in the area it may be more legible. Unfortunately, it does not appear I can post a copy here for you to see. Are there some other ways I might be able to post an image for someone to look at??
    Hello Jim - yes, have a read of this.

Jim Davis

I could find a copy to clipboard option but maybe this will work as a link

https://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3f58c04d.jpg

Se if you can see the image and maybe determine William's residence

Thanks

Jim Davis

Coromandel

maybe Ho....'s(?) Leasow, Stanway

Edit: I think it may be Horn's Leasow, as a Hornsleasow Farm is mentioned in this history of Stanway:

https://www.
    british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66448

Gypsyrose51

On Ancestry.com is the marriage certificate of William and Mary. Mary's father is George and Williams father is also William. If you inbox me with your email address I'll send a copy to you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast