Colin Rowledge

Default A "Filation Order" - please explain

This is more a General Query than a specific query relating to Ann Ball - otherwise I would have incorparated into that thread.

Googling the meaning of the term, it would appear to relate to a Removal Order. Here are the details from QS 1/11/17-18 @ Truro 12 April 1825:
    Child: M - [presumably Male]
    When born - Aug. 10, last
    Parish - Wendron
    Mother - Ann Ball, single woman
    Father - Henry Pellowe Jun. of Burdock - Carpenter.

So, where was she when she had this boy - presumably Wendron - but presumably the 'grape-vine' about her had reached from St. Keverne [her birth-place] and Manaccan [where she was claiming Parish Relief in 1821]

Manaccan and St. Keverne wanted no track with her. Wendron, I presume, was granted the removal order, so where would she likely go?

Would she now try to claim Parish relief in Burdock due to Henry's presumed place of residence?

Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Affiliation orders were orders granted by courts to unmarried mothers so that a father would have to pay maintenance. I wrote a post to the Illegitmacy thread on 14 July 2012 about these.

Filiation is the legal term that refers to the recognized legal status of the relationship between family members, or more specifically the legal relationship between parent and child.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post

Filiation is the legal term that refers to the recognized legal status of the relationship between family members, or more specifically the legal relationship between parent and child.
    Thanks Megan.

I know the meaning of the words Affiliation and, thanks to you, Filiation.

The wording that I read - Filation - in the transcription may therefore be an incorrect transcription after all of the word Filiation so what impact, if any, would it have on the Parish of Wendron? Bear in mind that possibly, neither was of the Parish when the order was made?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Re-reading the record, I think that it was me who misread the item. Seemingly, the Parish wanted to remove her and her new son from Parish Relief and place the burden of his maintenance upon the father.

I will now look for my orginal thread on Ann and update.

Colin