Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    Except that it is perfectly possible to have a baby in a car, or out in the countryside or other place where no medical help is available and any such birth must by law be registered.

As to photographic proof of ID tough, if they insist on that now I would not bother registering a birth as I do not have any.

Cheers
    Guy
    Your BG avatar will not help you out on that one either but I bet the BBC News Archives may have something

MarkJ

Except that it is perfectly possible to have a baby in a car, or out in the countryside or other place where no medical help is available and any such birth must by law be registered.

As to photographic proof of ID tough, if they insist on that now I would not bother registering a birth as I do not have any.

Cheers
    Guy
    That makes two of us Guy! I have never needed a passport and my driving licence accrued the various additional categories long before the photo version came into being.

Mark

PS - and I took my image off the forum ages ago to avoid scaring small children!

LittleMissP

This is true but Big Brother is still out there knowing what babies are expected as long as the mother has had any kind of antenatal care.

Paula

Reputation beyond repute

In the early days of civil registration, there were a few prosecutions of registrars for registering non-existent births.

https://www.british-jewry.org.uk/PPark.pdf

RobinC

I take it that a fine would be imposed if the birth of a child wasn't registered?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I take it that a fine would be imposed if the birth of a child wasn't registered?
    Yes. According to a General Register Office communication dated 27th May 2011 at:
    https://www.
    whatdotheyknow.com/request/what_is_the_maximum_penalty_for

In England &Wales, level 1 of the standard scale of fines applies to this offence. This means that the maximum fine would be £200.

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Yes. According to a General Register Office communication dated 27th May 2011 at:
    https://www.
    whatdotheyknow.com/request/what_is_the_maximum_penalty_for

In England &Wales, level 1 of the standard scale of fines applies to this offence. This means that the maximum fine would be £200.
    I thought a fine might be the case! Woe behold the first person who goes to prison as an example in the future as it'll probably happen!

I'm having to exercise my memory here, as it was 30 years ago, but I am pretty sure I registered my son in hospital - admittedly I was an in-patient for 10 days following the birth. I certainly didn't go to the register office - I think I was sent the certificate through the post
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

pennydog

All three of mine were registered in hospital (23 -28 years ago). I was lucky that Friday was the day that the registrar attended and I had each one in the early hours of Friday morning. I was given a short birth cert at the time free of charge, but I do not remember being offered the long version, even at a cost.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I think you would be daft not to register a birth these days because without a birth certificate the child wouldn’t qualify for any of the usual state benefits. Indeed a London Registrar once told me that they used to get lots of applications for late birth registration (often years after the child was born) right up until 1948 when Family Allowance (as it was then called) was first introduced. The threat of prosecution for non registration didn’t really bother people all that much, and had never led to full compliance. It was almost impossible to police anyway. However the prospect of not qualifying for Family Allowance concentrated minds wonderfully and thereafter there was very little evidence of non registration. Indeed the problem of fraudulent registration of a non-existent child became the more serious risk.
    ELWYN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast