bundy_b

Smile Peter James Rice 1836

Hi All : I have been researching the Rice Family from Chatham, Peter James Rice Chatham B1836, I had his parents down as Francis and Mary ann Rice ( Nee Bumby ). Peter married a Matilda Alice Watt on the 25 Sep 1862 in Frindsbury, Rochester. On his Marriage cert his fathers name was shown as James Rice. I did a Cityark - Search, on his birth in 1836 and his parents came up as Francis and Mary-Ann. If Peters father was Francis, he would have died 22 years before the Marriage to Matilda. Can anyone put me right on this. Thanks

Nicolina

on the 1841 Census Peter was in the Medway Union Workhouse (HO107 piece 491 folio 8/37 page 3). Other Rice children that were also there were:
    Emma aged 10
    Sarah aged 8
    Amelia aged 6

Nicolina

Mary Ann RICE (not born in County) born about 1806 & Rosena RICE born about 1839 were also in the Medway Workhouse (HO107 piece 487 folio 11/13 page 13)

There is also a James RICE aged 40 in the Fort Pitt Hospital Barracks (HO107 piece 491 folio 6/17 page 4). He was in the Army & not born in County.I've not seen a Francis RICE

Nicolina

FreeReg has a burial for Francis RICE, aged 41, at St Mary the Virgin, Chatham on 14th May 1840.

that doesn't really help. We need to fid out what happened to the family after 1841. I did find Peter but not the others.
    will have another look after I've had some sleep.
    Elaine

bundy_b

Francis Rice B / 1799 Westminster Middlesex

Nicolina

Francis, son of Thomas & Sarah RICE was christened at St James, Piccadilly on 5th March 1799.

bundy_b

Francis Rice Born 1799 Westminster Middlesex, Married Mary ann 14 Jan 1824, Francis did die in 1840 Mary-Ann had a Illegitmate son in 1842 ( John Alfred Rice ) Medway Cityark-Search but it looks as if I am looking for a James Rice as the father of Peter James Rice, I can find no record of this anywhere. The witness on the marriage cert all link into my tree ok. Is their a way of getting more information from Medway Union Workhouse ? You can check my web site www.
    ricefamilytree.co.nz thanks

Nicolina

you could try Rosina's birth certificate. She was with Mary Ann in the Workhouse, so maybe her father's name should clarify things.
    Rosina Matilda RICE Sept 1839 Medway Dist. Vol 5 Page 308

unfortunately the others were all born before official registration began.
    I'll have a word with one of my cousin abot the availability of the Workhouse records. She concentrated on Workhouses as part of her Uni degree.

bundy_b

Thanks so much Elaine that would be great, I will sent away for a birth cert for Rosina as you say that should clarify who the father is. Thanks again. Cheers Warren