deeree

Default How to email a report on Legacy?

I would like to email a lineage report produced by Legacy to another member of Brit Gen. I have tried saving it to a file, but the file it produces, Windows can't open. It seems to be called .rs6 I've tried copying it to the clipboard and pasting it into Word, but that produced an illegible document. I'm not using the Deluxe version of Legacy, just the free one, so can't save it as a pdf. document. I'm not very computer literate, so need help with this. I've printed the pages, and will have to scan them and email them from the scanner if I can't find a better way to do it. Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about Legacy but a good general purpose solution to this type of problem is to install a "print to PDF" facility. There are several free applications available.

Then for any output that can be printed, choose "print" but instead of your usual printer, select "PDF". This creates a PDF file which you can email to people and they can read it even if they don't have a copy of the program that you used to produce the particular output.

jac65

Hi

With the free Legacy you can't create a PDF file but you can create a Text file. It will open in Notepad and I also was able to open in Word

Andy

Reputation beyond repute

You obviously didn't understand my message.

deeree

Peter: Thanks for your suggestion. I've had a look on the web and found a few free 'print to PDF' applications. Adobe has one which I think I'll try.

Andy: When trying to create a Lineage report in the free Legacy, the Text file and the HTML file buttons are greyed out. Both buttons are available for the Individual, Family and Descendant report but unfortunately they're not what I'm trying to create.

Mutley

I don't know what operating system you are using but the 'Snipping Tool' may be a quick way of sharing simple information.
    Google for Snipping Tool - it can be used in Windows 7, Vista and XP.

If you are using Windows 7 you will find it on your start menu.
    Load the pages in Legacy that you want to share and 'snip' the information page by page, each snip becomes a .jpg (picture) that can be pasted into a single Word document. The recipient cannot do anything with it other than read it, the pages are really just screen shots and you are only doing a copy and paste but it is an easy way to share information quickly from a program that does not have a copy and paste option.

Good Luck.

P.S. If you are using Windows 7 you will find an explanation on Microsoft.
    https://
    windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

deeree

Thanks Mutley for your suggestion. I've just used the snipping tool and have been able to email some pages. As you say, it's not a quality solution but it works OK and is quick.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.