Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Dated 15th something 1639 (I'm not even sure which bit says the name of the month!).
    I was looking at the wrong bit, which is why there wasn't a month ..... its the 15th year of the reign of King Charles, A.D. 1639. Further up the page it says the month and day: 'quinto die Martij', i.e. 5th March.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thankyou very much for this Coromandel. Fr better than I could manage

This is the rear of the second document (which makes me wonder if the first one wasn't a different William)

This is my rough translation. any corrections?

A true and perfect inventorie of all the goods cattell and chattells of William Hollins of Dilhorne, husbandman lately deceased taken by us whose names are subscribed.

febuary 27th 1639

Intrimis (item) his wearing apparrell and some money in his purse - £1 (rest missing)

Ite[m] fower (four) bogs (dogs?) with all there belonging with other himon(?) - £3 (rest missing)

Ite[m] three course bed stools and three coffers(?) with other wooden ware - £1 (rest mising)

Ite[m] brass & pewter - £2 (rest missing)

Ite[m] fire shouls(shovels) and tong[u]es & other iron ware - 10/-

Ite[m] three cart bodies and one plough & one pair of droughters(?) & one fours paire of wheeles - £1

Ite[m] corne & hay in the barne & house - £6 -13s - 4d

Ite[m] two bind(?) and two cowes - £6 - 13s - 4d

Ite[m] three yearlings cowes - £3 - 6s - 8d

Ite[m] one mare - £2 - 13s - 4d

Ite[m] one swine - £1 - 6s - 8d

Ite[m] a little bacon & other provision - 10/-

Suma tot £31 -0-0

J Drizors

Tho: Egeraton

Tho: Myott

Richard Coape

Colin Rowledge

Reading the above post #14, I get the impression, that in addition to his stated occupation, he may have been a "small-time farmer".

Does this fit?

Colin

Definitely a farmer though I thought that was the same thing as "Husbandman"?
    I don't know about small time £31 in the 17th century sounds like a reasonable amount of money

Colin Rowledge

The definition of husbandman from Wikipedia is that of a free tenant farmer or small landowner. In social terminology it is below the level of yeoman.

Given the value of his estate [1638] and with items mising from the inventory, I don't believe it fits the criteria.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Rabbit View Post
    This is my rough translation. any corrections?
    You've done a great job, Zen Rabbit. I've only made a few minor adjustments:

A true and perfect inventorie of all the goods cattell and chattells of William Hollins of Dillerne, husbandman lately deceased taken by us whose names are subscribed.

February 27o 1639

Imprimis his wearing apparrell and some money in his purse - £1 (rest missing)
    [In a list, the first entry starts with 'In primis' or 'Imprimis' (In the first place), then each subsequent entry begins 'Item']

Ite[m] fower (four) beds with all therto belonging with other linnen - £3 (rest missing)

Ite[m] three course bed steeds and three coffers with other wooden ware - £1 (rest mising)

Ite[m] brasse and pewter - £2 (rest missing)

Ite[m] fire shoule(shovel) and tong[u]es with other yron ware - 10/-

Ite[m] three cart bodies and one plough & one pair of droughtes & one course paire of wheeles - £1
    ['Droughtes' are perhaps 'draughts', which OED says can be harness.]

Ite[m] corne & hay in the barne & house - £6 -13s - 4d

Ite[m] two kine and two calves - £6 - 13s - 4d

Ite[m] three yearlings calves - £3 - 6s - 8d

Ite[m] one mare - £2 - 13s - 4d

Ite[m] one swine - £1 - 6s - 8d

Ite[m] a little bacon with other provision - 10/-

Sum[m]a tot £31 -0-0

Prizers [i.e. Appraisers]
    Tho: Heaton

Tho: [or Cha??] Pyott(?)

Richard Coape

-------

The bit in Latin says something the goods of William Hollins deceased being administered by Anne Hollins, widow of the deceased and then mentions Anne again, and Richard Cowap of Newbridge: probably referring to the bond. At the very bottom of the page it says the Latin equivalent of 'Aforesaid executrix' (an error?) and then 'Aforesaid administratrix sworn in the presence of me', and the signature of Alexander How. It looks like there's a bit more writing under the weight.

Thanks coromandel I think I am getting my eye in as it were.
    Interesting about the husbandman Colin that hadn't occured to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12