Thread: Mistakes

steveh37

Post Mistakes

I have found that my mothers birth date is wrong on her death notification on Ancestry . Who ever gave the information for her Death Certificate, I pressume it was my dad, gave my sisters day of birth not the year. The year was right 1924. Should have been 16 September 1924 and not 23 September 1924. Who do I notify concerning the mistake.

Steveh23

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

You mean the Index on Ancestry is wrong? If so, there is a link on the record's page called "Add Alternate Information", which allows you to...well, as the link says!

Reputation beyond repute

Do you mean the GRO index is wrong or the Ancestry transcription is wrong? (or perhaps it's the electronic chunk of the indexes - you didn't mention the year of death)

Who do I notify concerning the mistake.
    Adding a postem to the FreeBMD entry ensures maximum visibility (if FreeBMD has done it yet).

steveh37

My Mother was Rosina Hecek nee Hill born 16 September 1924, Plymouth, Devon. Died 1 January 1970 in Billericay, Essex. My sister was born 23 September 1963.
    Name: Rosina Hecek
    Birth Date: 23 Sep 1924
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1970
    I pressume that they got their information from General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England:

steveh37
    Last edited by steveh37; 09-07-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: looked all wrong

Brick wall demolition expert!

You need to check the death certificate itself to see what is recorded for her birth date. If you haven't got a copy, then I would suggest that you contact the local registrar, explain the situation, and ask them to check the birth date on the certificate. Contact details for the Brentwood register office may be found here. Then...

1. If the birth date is correct on the certificate but incorrect in the index, then you can simply ask the GRO to amend their index.
    2. If the birth date is incorrect on the certificate and needs to be amended, then see below.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This Directgov page explains what you have to do if you wish to correct a detail that was originally recorded on a certificate. Check out the following two documents on their page, namely...

Correcting a death record
    • 'Application form to correct details on a death registration'
    • 'How to apply for a correction to a death registration form'

Reputation beyond repute

So it's a correct transcription by Ancestry of the incorrect GRO index.

You need the death certificate to check what it says and determine whether or not it's just an indexing error.

Presumably you do actually have the relevant birth certificate and it shows 16 September? You would need documentary evidence if you wanted to pursue it. When a friend of mine started researching, she found that her father had celebrated the wrong birthday throughout his life!

Ollie cat pointed you towards a mechanism for notifying changes but it's up to you whether you think it's worth bothering about. If it was me, I wouldn't bother, I'd get on with more interesting research

steveh37

Thanks to Olliecat and Peter just wanted to set the record straight for future would be genealogy students in our family. Wouldn't want them arguing in the future as to what was right and what was wrong. When my father gave the registrar my mothers details he inadvertently gave my sisters day of birth and not my mothers not suprising really as their birthday was 7 days apart although it was 39 years between them. I think in view of the fact that I want everything in my tree to be 100% accurate or as near as possible to get your own mothers birthday wrong is inexcuseable and needs to be put right.

steveh37