Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Joseph POWELL - 1803 - Lamerton

Joseph Powell was baptised 12 Oct 1803, Lamerton, son of Valentine and Jennifer.

In 1861 he is shown with his wife, Elizabeth, b c 1807 Lamerton. I assume they were already married when they appeared together in 1841. I am looking for help to trace their marriage. I think it highly improbable that they were the Joseph Powell/Elizabeth Currow who married in Cornwall in 1837.

Any other suggestions?

janbooth

FMP have the marriage in 1840 at Stoke Damarel. Can't post details, but you could take out a pay-per-view sub to get them.

Janet

Sorry, Janet. I have looked on FMP and Free BMD and can find nothing to march the date and place you suggest. I realise the constraints imposed on a direct quote, but can you give me a clue, please?

Reputation beyond repute

I can see the one Janet presumably means in the index on FMP under the "Parish Records Collection".

But there doesn't seem to be a corresponding entry in the GRO indexes. So something is wrong somewhere!!!

In the early days registration was not compulsory so not all events are recorded in the GRO indexes

Reputation beyond repute

In the early days registration was not compulsory so not all events are recorded in the GRO indexes
    I'm afraid you're quite wrong there so far as marriages are concerned.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I can see the one Janet presumably means in the index on FMP under the "Parish Records Collection".

But there doesn't seem to be a corresponding entry in the GRO indexes. So something is wrong somewhere!!!
    Did someone mess up the index? Here is the list from the GRO marriage index of those that married in the same year, quarter, district, and with the same vol/page...

Marriages Sep 1840 Stoke Damerel 9 472
    PETT, William
    CHUBB, Elizabeth

SHEARS, Richard
    WARSON, Jane

POWELL, John
    LANGMEAD, Grace

GOAD, William
    VENNING, Margery

Looking at the church register on fmp, I have paired up the couples above with the exception of John POWELL/Grace LANGMEAD. This is because, in the register, the couple recorded after Richard SHEARS/JANE WARSON but before William GOAD/Margery VENNING are Joseph POWELL and Elizabeth LANGMEAD.

Coromandel

Good detective work, olliecat!

Perhaps it is one of those cases mentioned in M.W. Foster's 'A comedy of errors, or, The marriage records of England and Wales, 1837-1899', where the witnesses were indexed instead of the bride and groom?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Perhaps it is one of those cases mentioned in M.W. Foster's 'A comedy of errors, or, The marriage records of England and Wales, 1837-1899', where the witnesses were indexed instead of the bride and groom?
    One of the witnesses was indeed called Grace. Perhaps the name of John for the groom was pinched from the name of the bride's father.

Reputation beyond repute

a John Langmead is living with the couple in 1851
    The National Archives; HO 107/1884 f 80 p 19

Elizabeth's father, perhaps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast