Colin Rowledge

Default A term from the Probate Register.

I have a phrase from the "National Probate Calendar of Wills and Administrations" that probate was granted to one of the Executors.

The phrase is "Probate being granted under certain Limitations". This was granted to the father of the deceased. At the time of her death, she was married and had 4 children aged 9-14. At the time of her death, or shortly thereafter, her husband was an inmate at a Lunatic Asylum. The wife and her husband died in 1883 [less than 7months apart].

My assumption is that the "certain Limitations" was in reference to and concerned the care of the 4 minor children. Am I correct?

Colin

Reputation beyond repute

Am I correct?
    No.

The probate calendar is an index and you can't possibly guess what the limitations were or why they were imposed without obtaining a copy of the will and grant.

Mary Anne

I've just had four entries in a row from the National Probate Calendar that said "Probate being granted under certain Limitations".

ALL were for people who had never married and had no children. All of the decedents were reported to have estates less than £300.

Interestingly, these were all probated in London in 1875, many years after the deaths, which were all in Canada, in 1843, 1865, 1866, and 1872, respectively. Administration was granted to a distant relation who was at the time residing in England, and he was acting on behalf of the three brothers of the deceased, all of whom were then living in Canada.

I can only think there was some legal need for these estates to be resolved in 1875, perhaps relating to property? What the limitations were will remain for another day, if and when I order the probate documents.

Mary Anne