Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    royston

Wink new sky hd box interfering with my bt interne

Recently had a new Sky HD box. I did not have the old one connected to the telephone line, but this one was connected.
    It virtually stoped my internet, with not enough speed to even open the first page. Removing the telephone line from the box cured the problem imediately. However Sky has detected that my telephone line is not attached.
    Any observataions/comments very welcome.
    RW

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't know anything about Sky, but until someone more knowledgeable comes along, could it be something to do with your microfilter(s)? All broadband equipment that I've ever come across has instructions that a microfilter must be used in every phone socket that's in use, and not just the one that the broadband connects through. So if the Sky box plugs into a standard phone socket, that's going to need a microfilter in it.

That's the limit of my knowledge, so if it doesn't help, hopefully someone else can offer something more advanced.

Arthur

Reputation beyond repute

Certainly sounds to me like the lack of a microfilter or a microfilter that needs to be replaced. The Sky connection is just an analogue modem so it does need a microfilter (the box also has an ethernet connection available if wanted but that's for an entirely different purpose)

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Unless you want to do 'interactive' on SKY, don't reconnect. There's only a certain amount of 'space', coming down the phone line. (I think it's something to do with the voltage in the phone line).

I disconnected my phone line from my SkyHD+ Box, almost immediately. I had no use for it. Sky knows what you are watching, without the phone line attached.

Steve.

Reputation beyond repute

Some contracts require a phone line to be connected. If you haven't got a phone line connected they won't let you watch pay-as-you-go films (the billing information goes through the phone line, not the film )

When we first got Sky we paid, I think, a one off fee of £25 to get us out of the contractual obligation of being connected to the phone line for a year. Apart from not wanting to be interactive, we didn't want them drilling through the wall of the lounge to put a phone socket in. When we later got a Sky+ Box we didn't have to pay the fee again and they connected us up without the use of a phone line. We have changed 'package' on two occasions perfectly well without a phone line or a new card having to be sent. The only thing that annoyed me greatly when we had the Sky+ Box fitted - and I wrote a letter of complaint about it - was that the engineer insisted that I had to carry all his equipment through the house as he couldn't do it 'for health and safety reasons'. I am a pensioner but reasonably strong, so it wasn't a problem, but what if I'd been a frail old lady?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Some contracts require a phone line to be connected. If you haven't got a phone line connected they won't let you watch pay-as-you-go films (the billing information goes through the phone line, not the film )

Shame they don't do Pizza's.

Yes, that's what I meant to say as well Peter. If you want a film(if you can find a decent one).....just phone up.
    Personally, I wait til they come out on DVD, it works out cheaper to buy it.........and you can always re sell it afterwards.(How cheap am I. ).

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    Sky knows what you are watching, without the phone line attached.
    How? There is no connection back through the satellite and if there is no internet or phone connection out, then there is NO connecion.
    Big Brother gets paranoid?

Nicolina

it is possible that your router is too close to the Sky box, try moving it slightly further away. We had a problem with the phone interferring (router was further away) but moving it 6 inches resolved the problem.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The only thing that annoyed me greatly when we had the Sky+ Box fitted - and I wrote a letter of complaint about it - was that the engineer insisted that I had to carry all his equipment through the house as he couldn't do it 'for health and safety reasons'. I am a pensioner but reasonably strong, so it wasn't a problem, but what if I'd been a frail old lady?
    What H&S reasons? If there were any he wouldn't have been there, surely?
    Former H&S person.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast