donwad

Default Thompson family in Northumberland

I have been searching for my mother's family in England for a number of years without success.
    The progenitor of our family in Canada is Thomas Thompson, born in Northumberland, we believe near Wooler or Berwick upon Tweed abt 1780. He came to Canada about 1840 with his sons Thomas and James. Thomas Jr. was born in England abt 1810 and James in England 11 May 1816. They all died and are buried in New Brunswick, Canada. I found in death notice from the Saint John New Brunswick DailyTelegraph on January 8, 1872 the following: Died at his residence Salmon Creek, Johnston (Queens Co.) 22nd ult., Thomas THOMPSON, age 62, native of England in the County of Northumberland near Woler.
    If anyone could help me find my family roots in England it would be greatly appreciated.
    Donald Waddell
    Courtenay, B.C.
    Canada

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You don't mention a wife of Thomas snr, neither do the tree owners on Ancestry.

In 1805 a Thomas Thompson of Alnwick (just down the road from woler) married an Ann Stalker at Chatton, a bit further down the road. I wonder if this couple is yours?

Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Hey Sue, are you sure your Thompsons didn't take a side trip to Northumberland?
    Happy Families
    Wendy

donwad

We don't know any of Thomas Sr's history in England. He came to Canada without a wife. We assume he was a widower when he arrived in Canada. His son James imigrated in 1837, then Thomas Sr and Thomas Jr came together in 1840. Thanks for your help I will try to research Ann Stalker in Alnwick. There may be a connection. Thomas Sr would have been 30yrs.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Hey Sue, are you sure your Thompsons didn't take a side trip to Northumberland?
    Hi Wendy...

Nope mine went straight from Ireland to Canada and at a bit later date than the ones above. My son-in-law does have some in his family from Northumberland but I can't see a connection to Donald's.

Hi Donald...

.Welcome to B-G! Always great to get another Canadian and a British Columbian at that! ( Don't let my location fool you...I was born and raised in BC!)

It sure is awful having such common names and trying to search them, isn't it? All the best to you with your Thompsons.... I can't trace mine previous to their settling in Ontario.

Sue

Sue

Donald,have you looked on IGI Family search at all? There are several other marriages for a Thomas in the time span .
    Also Baptisms for a possible Thomas snr.

Not knowing if the boys were born in same place,I haven't found two baptisms for them with same parents at same place, but it's possible they had moved elsewhere before poss. death of Mother.
    You'd really need a map of the area nearby while you search to try to match up this family, unless anyone has knowledge of Church records for the time.

https://www.
    visit-rothbury.co.uk/area/map.htm

Some other examples from IGI

Thomas Thompson
    bapt. 24 Dec 1781
    baptism SION MEETING HOUSE FORMERLY BONDGATE MEETING HOUSEALNWICKTERIAN,ALNWICK,NORTHUMBERLAND,ENGLAND
    father Alexander Thompson
    (batch)no: C08030-1
    Thomas Thompson,​ Elizabeth
    Thomas Thompson
    baptism: 16 Aug 1778
    BERWICK UPON TWEED,NORTHUMBERLAND,ENGLAND
    father: Thomas Thompson + Elizabeth
    (batch) no: P00022-1
    marriage 1804 9th feb. Jane Hunter at Alnwick

marriage 21 May 1812 Alnwick, Elizabeth Davison
    Happy Families
    Wendy

donwad

No I haven't yet, I will try looking there. The Thomas Thompson you found might be a match. The date is close. Thanks. Searching for roots can be very flustrating.