Thread: Mannering

mannerc

Default Mannering

I am looking for the ancestors of William Mannering born in Boughton Monchelsea 1792 & died in Boxley 1872.
    Can anyone please help?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hello mannerc and welcome to the forum.

There is a baptism on Family Search of a William Mannerings on 06 May 1792 at Boughton-Monchelsea, Kent, England. Mother's name Anne. Have you seen this?

Also, have you found your William Mannering's marriage? Did he marry Maria Fullagar on 05 Jun 1815 at Boxley?

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Also, have you found your William Mannering's marriage? Did he marry Maria Fullagar on 05 Jun 1815 at Boxley?
    Checking the census, there is a William Mannering with wife Maria and children living in Boxley. Although William's age/birth place fits with your post #1, Maria was born abt 1815 and so was far too young to marry in 1815. (1851: Piece: 1618; Folio: 20; Page: 9)

However, if William married twice, then the following marriage looks interesting and I would want to know what is recorded (if anything) for the father's name..

Mar 1844 Maidstone 5 316
    MANNERINGS, William
    Listed on the same page is a Maria COLLISON

mannerc

William Mannering was married to Mary Fullager in 1815. They had a son Frederick b. 1816.
    William had a second wife (Maria) She was b.1817. They had a son Henry b. 1852
    ("England and Wales Census, 1871," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VF65-L66 : accessed 4 July 2012), William Mannering, Sandling, Boxley, Kent, England.)
    I also obtained the following information from Daevid Hook. (Boxley,the story of an English Parish)
    Quote : "The Mannering family did not exist in Boxley until William arrived.He was married twice.Frederick came from his first marriage.William was,in1851 living with his much younger second wife Maria. William's 2nd family & Frederick's family are the only Mannering's recorded in Boxley on the 1841 & 1851 censuses.No Mannering's paid tithes or Poor rates before the arrival of William"

Hi again mannerc

I really would recommend that you obtain a copy of William's 1844 marriage certificate as you need to know if there is a father named on the record or not. Noticing your location, you can obtain a copy through the GRO (General Register Office) fairly easily if you create an account with them and if you have a credit or debit card. There is also an alternative method of ordering through the post. Just so that you know, the cost of a certificate is currently £9.25. Shout if you wish to know anything further about ordering certificates.

I will have a look at the story you have mentioned a wee bit later. That's if it available somewhere online.

For his first marriage, do you have a copy of the original entry from the parish register? Father's names were not recorded on marriage records of that period but the witness names may be helpful.