olliepolly

Default Place Names changing

Could someone tell me if you have a place that has changed i.e. in this case - Warrington used to be in Lancashire, it is now in Cheshire, which one should i be putting? at the moment I am putting whichever county it was in at the time/date, but I am getting confused having both Warrington Lancashire and Warrington Cheshire in my records is this the right way to do it?? hope this makes sense

Jan1954

I have a similar problem with Bishop's Stortford being unable to make up its mind as to whether it belongs to Hertfordshire or Essex. I have recorded it under the county in which it was sitting at the time that a particular record was created, like yourself. It works for me....

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I would put the County, where the record occurs before the boundary changes with a note.

Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire are my bones of contention.

Steve.

olliepolly

thanks guys i guess il just carry on even tho it annoys me lol

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

My sister in law was from Widnes, LANCASHIRE. She spat nails when they changed it to Cheshire, in 1974.

She is, and always will be a Lancashire lass.

Steve.

A fountain of knowledge

§metimes you see "Warrington, Lancashire/Cheshire", but I don't know what that does to search engines.

Chris

(from Penge, Surrey/Kent/London)

Reputation beyond repute

So what would you put for Manchester, say?

County means different things in different contexts. For example, Warrington is a unitary authority so it's only vaguely part of Cheshire. I can't imagine any genealogist entering "Rochester, Medway" in their records!

I would stick exclusively to the historic counties unless you're entering a current address such as a record office when I would enter the modern postal address (which doesn't include a county).