Default Captain Disney Roebuck

I have just discovered, through the delights of the British Newspaper Archive, that my great grandmother went to Cape Town in December 1876 with Captain Disney Roebuck's company. From what I have learnt just through googling the name Captain Roebuck took Shakespeare to the Cape and then travelled around for hundreds of miles by ox cart. I knew I admired my great grandmother but now I know I love her!
    She even summoned him to court because he didn't give her all her money. She must have been one heck of a woman.
    If anyone is looking for missing actors then I think the diamond fields and the gold fields in South Africa might be the place to look and the shipping records might just have the correct names on them too - or in my case not likely.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

anamarja

Also, a search of Trove, the National Library of Australia's digitised newspapers site, may yield results in searching for various performers. Captain Roebuck is mentioned frequently.

Oh! thank you for that. I simply hadn't thought of Australia, still dancing down the hallway in excitement over South Africa I suppose. I shall take a look
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

anamarja

During the roaring days of the gold rushes and after, some amazing performers came to Australia - including the amazing Lola Montez!!

anamarja

As an addition to the above, the 'Divine Sarah Bernhardt' was also enticed to the Antipodes in 1891.