Famous for offering help & advice

Default Free access Canada Day Weekend

Its Canada's 145th birthday and A. has free access to its Canadian records until July 2.

Sue

Ken_R

Thanks for that. I might just take advantage of it, if I get time.

One of 'my lot' was a William Reeves, born Birmingham 1874, who 'skipped the pond' circa 1900, and then went on to establish the St John's Ambulance in Newfoundland, for which he subsequently was awarded an MBE.

He died about 1952, St Johns, Newfoundland.

I presume that there are records of his 'pond hopping' that I have not been able to access.

Actually, I'd put the date as later, as I can remember receiving Birthday cards, from Canada, containing Canadian Dollars, addressed to me. - not that I can remember actually having any say as to how such gains were spent.

Other than that, I know very little about him.

Interestingly, as we currently have a HUDSON thread ongoing, his mother was Sarah Ann HUDSON, born Birmingham, 1848.

CanadianCousin

Ken,

I don`t know if you`re aware that Newfoundland was not a part of Canada until 1949, so many Newfoundland records prior to that date do not appear in Canadian archives.

HTH -

Tim

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCousin View Post
    Ken,

I don`t know if you`re aware that Newfoundland was not a part of Canada until 1949, so many Newfoundland records prior to that date do not appear in Canadian archives.

HTH -

Tim
    Tim, just as a matter of interest, do you have any idea where pre-1949 Newfoundland records were kept and how they can be researched?

Colin

CanadianCousin

Hi Colin,

The Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL) are located at a facility called `The Rooms` in St. John`s, together with the provincial museum and art gallery. The genealogy site Newfoundland Grand Banks has probably the most extensive collection of PANL document transcriptions of direct interest to family historians - e.g., census records, parish registers, some wills, etc... - that are available online free of charge.

Hope this helps -

Tim

P.S. I`ve embedded links to both of the sites mentioned above as they are non-commercial, but moderators please feel free to remove these if they transgress B-G`s terms & conditions in any way.