Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fizz25

Default Anthony Warman - Marriage Quest

Hello - new to site - could anyone help with a look-up for a marriage between Anthony Warman b 1752 Folkestone, Kent to one of the following ladies, but which one??

Ann Reeve married 3/8/1773 witnessed by John Harrold & Christopher Stredwick
    or
    Rebecca Stredwick married 20/11/1779 witnessed by Thomas Stredwick & Christopher Stredwick

Anthony's parents were Edmund Warman b 1714 and Ruth Clark.

Thanks in advance.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is another marriage in Folkstone 15 Feb 1795 between a Anthony Warman mariner and Eliz Johncock
    father Edward a brewer....no other details

do you have any info on Children names & dates of birth.......might help to sort out which wife

Fizz25

Hi - thanks for the reply - I did see that marriage but discounted it due to the age (43 yrs) of Anthony at the date of the marriage, which seems a bit old for first marriage. The records I found showed witness' as Anthony Warman and ?? Johncock - no parents recorded. Although a lot of the men of the family were mariners, so it is possible...
    Unfortunately, no children yet as unable to get the correct marriage.
    I do have his parents - Edmund Warman & Ruth Clark - as having 13 children in total. 2 died young; 2 sons I have managed to work out correct wives and the next one on my list was Anthony...
    Where next??

On Ancestry there is a tree with your Anthony married to Ann Reeve......not that its proof but it could be worth you asking the person as she has a lot of other Warman info.......do you have access to Ancestry?

will go and have another search now

hope link at bottom will work has following info on it .....it is Rootsweb world connect

this has Anthony married to Ann Reeve with parents of Edmund & Ruth Clark
    it also has 6 children listed
    Ann 1778 Folkstone
    Anthony 1788 Folkstone
    John 1782 Folkstone
    Edmund 1786 Folkstone
    William 1790 Folkstone
    Hannah 1792 Folkstone

also found on 26th March 1810 a John Warman mariner in the right of Elizabeth his wife daughter of John Whittingham was sworn free..he is the son of Anthony Warman & Ann Reeve

https://wc.
    rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=rnelson&id=I18926

Fizz25

Hi again
    Yes, I am on Ancestry. There are 10 public trees with the same Anthony as mine. 1 has Ann Reeve; 2 have Rebecca Stredwick, the other 7 do not show a wife. The 3 trees with either Ann or Rebecca all refer to other trees but nothing concrete enough to state which one is correct.
    The link did not work but I did get onto the site and had a quick look which did show Anthony married to Eliz Johncock (father Basely which is one of the brothers to my Anthony) so some good news
    From 1841 to 1911 census records, all of the Warman's live next door to each other or in the next street, do you know if there are any similar records for earlier as this may be a route to go along?
    The other option I was thinking of would be the occupation of father & son.... do you know of any sites where this may be listed?
    I will have a look tomorrow at the 1841 + census records to see if I can work out a bit more info on them.
    Any ideas, hints, tips, advice gratefully received
    Last edited by Fizz25; 27-06-2012 at 8:56 PM. Reason: Additional Comment

https://
    wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=rnelson&id=I18926

this should give you link to the Anthony that married Ann Reeve on here.....

I must admit I always try to check any info I take from anothers tree but did wonder if you contacted them they might have checked themselves
    Mind you probabally have already done this as you have your own tree on there .

I did find that by putting Anthony Warman+Kent into google I got quite a few hits and one site where the bit about John being sworn free had a census from 1800 with Warmans quite a few interesting facts could be worth contacting....your family is very interesting seems to be quite a bit done on them...more than I have found on mine!!
    sandie

Fizz25

Hi Sandie

Thanks for the advice and help given.

I have found all of this quite addictive, which is probably why just 5 more minutes, turns into an hour or so later..... )

There are a couple of Warman web sites with a host of information on them - have found these very very useful for reference so has made finding people a lot easier - just the pairing up is the sticky wicket at the moment!!

Thanks again for the info on John - what does sworn free mean?

When I get home later, will make a pot of coffee and sit and have a deeper look at the link you sent - thanks again.

As to your comment about my family being interesting - yes it is - unfortunately, when I started, I put both my husband's family and mine on the same tree - BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Hindsight is 20-20!!!

Have a good day
    Kind regards
    Fiona

Coromandel

Hi Fiona and welcome to BG

From FamilySearch both couples (Anthony/Rebecca and Anthony/Ann) were having children at the same time, and both had sons called Edmund, so that doesn't help work out which Anthony is which.

Have you checked the original parish registers? These may have more information than the FamilySearch entries. Although it wasn't routine to include a father's occupation in baptism registers at this time, some registers do. Sometimes they will, helpfully, distinguish two men of the same name, for example by saying where they lived, or calling one 'the older' and one 'the younger'.

If each Anthony Warman signed the marriage register, rather than making a mark, then you can compare the signatures with any others you can find. The marriage register should have names of witnesses too, which may help you.

Burial registers may help, or inscriptions on gravestones, if these have survived.

Also look for wills for Warmans in the hope that relationships are spelled out.

There are many other possible sources of information, e.g. deeds, poor law records, apprenticeship records, quarter sessions records....

Some Kent records have been digitised by FamilySearch but aren't on open access: if ordinary mortals like me try to look at an image it says

'This image is available:
    • When using the site at a family history center.
    • To signed-in members of supporting organizations.'
    If you have an LDS Family History Centre near you, then try that. There may be access in the county record office too. The collections listed are:
    - England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911
    - England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments, 1689-1832
    - England, Kent, Quarter Sessions and Court Files, 1600-1883
    - England, Kent, Wills and Probate, 1440-1881

Coromandel

Have you looked at this page? :-

freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~warman/AnthonyWarmanFreeSchoolMaster.htm

It has an interesting story about an Anthony Warman who was chosen as the new Master of the 'Free School of Folkestone' in 1784-5. There were complaints about him ('a very illiterate Man and by no means qualified'; 'not capable of teaching the Latin Tongue'...). The case was taken to court: there is a reference to file FO/QHc 2 at East Kent Archives.

The author could not identify which Anthony Warman this was, but suggests three possibles, and says that Anthony son of Edmund & Ruth is the one who married Ann Reeve, while Anthony son of Anthony & Susanna married Rebecca Stredwick.

There's much more about the Warmans of Folkestone on the same site. The home page is here:

freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~warman/Index.html

Perhaps worth an e-mail to the site owner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast