Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Famous for offering help & advice

My mums ancestors brother wed a sister of my dads ancestor in Finchingfield in Essex.

I am off to London again on Sunday and shall be spending much time at the SOG or LMA looking up those rellies of mine. Side lines can help in getting back further with direct lines and can help confirm relationships.

spison

I'm obsessed (or perhaps Mary Ann is right and I have an incurable disease)!

I've left my family and their offshoots to investigate an almost unknown event in the history of my city (The Newcastle Industrial School: 1867-1871) that my family history uncovered. I am in the process of researching and writing 200 odd biographies because I believe their stories must be told - only one of them is an ancestor. I have learned so much about the social and welfare history of NSW (some stuff that I'm not sure I really wanted to know) but I can't help it!

Jane

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Fascinating stuff Jane. will you publish at all even in a small way? Magazine,local History mag.etc?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Knowledgeable and helpful

That is the sort of tangent, that this family history lark springs forth, that I find so facinating. I have uncovered an almost forgotten pottery factory in Liverpool populated by people from the Potteries, unpublished accounts of life in Stafford gaol and accounts of the movements of people during the formative years of the industrial age all through my family research. Also I have managed to confirm direct line records by tracing the lines of those with similar names living in the same location. The history of Kings and Queens and people of power and note are all very well but the histories of the ordinary people are what attract me the most because they are the histories of you and me and all the unsung people who make up the back bone of our past.

anamarja

Jane, I'd be fascinated to read your findings. I have a line that runs back to Port Macquarie in the mid-1800s.

spison

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Fascinating stuff Jane. will you publish at all even in a small way? Magazine,local History mag.etc?
    Applying for grants as we speak. For anyone who is interested in "the little volcano" which was closed due to wild rioting - among other things, I have a list on Trove of the major events. Search for "Newcastle Industrial School" and go to 'Lists' rather than 'Newspapers'. As a descendant contacts me (or vice versa) or if I find that the girl never had descendants, I tag her into the list. When I found my first reference to the school in connection to my ancestor, even though I live in Newcastle, I had no idea of where it was and neither did the research librarians I asked.

Jane

spison

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Rabbit View Post
    That is the sort of tangent, that this family history lark springs forth, that I find so facinating. I have uncovered an almost forgotten pottery factory in Liverpool populated by people from the Potteries, unpublished accounts of life in Stafford gaol and accounts of the movements of people during the formative years of the industrial age all through my family research. Also I have managed to confirm direct line records by tracing the lines of those with similar names living in the same location. The history of Kings and Queens and people of power and note are all very well but the histories of the ordinary people are what attract me the most because they are the histories of you and me and all the unsung people who make up the back bone of our past.
    Compelling stuff isn't it!

Sandra Parker

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    Applying for grants as we speak.
    Jane
    I do hope something comes of your application. The 'girls' deserve not to be forgotten.

Sandra who, together with her spectacled aura, has appreciated your help in another field of research.

spison

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Parker View Post
    Sandra who, together with her spectacled aura, has appreciated your help in another field of research.
    I still haven't got to Kingswood. I haven't forgotten.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123