Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Esther Grosskopf

Need to find a death for Esther to "finish" her off on my tree, have all other info thanks members..last found on 1881 census, her hubby is a widow in 1891..

Esther Grosskopf brn abt 1832

1881 census..Chorlton...RG11; Piece: 3937; Folio: 32; Page: 5

Checked Lancs bmd but Chorlton isnt indexed for that time frame

Checked freebmd using phonetic search also no luck!
    Help!

birdlip

Hi there,

family search has this;

Esther GROSSKOFF age 58, b 1831 wife Gustavus GROSSKOFF
    d 13 Sep 1889 at 104 Belmont Terrace, Douglas, Isle Of Man.

birdlip

All the Isle of man deaths are now on manxbmd.com/ as of April 2012. She is there, but another interesting spelling....

1889 GROWKOFF Esther 58 Douglas A1 553

I think you still have order the certificate from the Civil Registry Office at Douglas though.

Thank you so much..no idea why she would have died there!! Just assumed she would have died where they lived in Lancs..shows you need to check other possibilities..

birdlip

Did Gustavus travel for work? Or could she have been staying with relatives? On holiday? I googled images for Belmont Terrace and they are quite imposing buildings...104 could have been a hotel or sanatorium/ convalescent home of some sort maybe?

Your next interesting exercise could be to find out where she was buried! My great grandmother was born in the east End of London, died in Cardiff and was buried in Berkshire!

Good luck!

Thanks! He was a tailor and they appeared to spend all their married life in Chorlton, so maybe she got ill and was sent to a hospital of some sort there..Gustavus didnt die untill 1913 but he died in Chorlton.
    A street search on I.O.M census would be a help but cant do that on Ancestry.
    I will see if I can find Gustavus burial place ...but they could have buried her on the I.O.M.
    Have found a couple of her children and there families buried at Southern...