Thread: Williams family

siamesewillow

Default Williams family

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...James-Williams

After making such a mess on the thread above I have decided to restart and give more details that I know off.

James Williams born 1772 Olveston, married to Mary Thomas on the 9 Dec 1797 at St Michael, Bristol. James died on the 25 March 1856, burial 30 March 1856 St Mary, Olveston. Mary died on the 18 Oct 1829.

They had 5 children. Mary already had a daughter Anne Lippat Thomas.

James Williams born 1801 Olveston married to Mary Woodward in 1844. Have marriage certificate naming James Williams (farmer) as his father. James senior was living with his son's family in 1851. James died on the 23 May 1871. They had 10 children, 2 died as children.

George Williams born 8 Nov 1802 Olveston, married Amelia Croome on the 28 Nov 1827. George dies in 1860. They had 10 children.

Joseph Williams born 1806 Olveston, married to Elizabeth Skinner in 1838. They had 4 children.

Mary Williams born 1808 Olveston, married to John Hale in 1838. They had 8 children and in 1853 they move to the USA.

John Williams born 1816 Olveston, he dies in 1816.

I really would like to know that the James Williams I have is the same James Williams who married Mary Thomas. According to the ancestry trees James and Mary have alot more children and none of the children are called James, George, Joseph, Mary and John.

By the way I have James William's death certificate and Joseph Williams is down as being in attendance at his father's death.

Any help would be appreciated.

siamese

janbooth

Always start from what you know definitely. You have James snr in the 1851 census of Olveston living with son James and his family. You have James snr's death certificate with a son Joseph registering his death.

There is a James WILLIAMS aged 70 in the 1841 census of Olveston living at Tockington with (presumably) son James aged 35, both shown as Farmers.

The only way you are really going to sort out how many children your James snr had, and by whom, is to look at the parish registers. As I said in my previous post, Bristol and Avon FHS have produced parish register transcript cds of Olveston and probably the best way to start (if you can't look at the originals) is to get the Baptismal Register vol 11 1754-1812 and look for the baptisms of the children of James snr and if indeed his wife's name is shown as Mary. That cd should also hopefully include the baptism of James snr himself and if his father turns out to be one of those WILLIAMS's who left a will which is on Documents Online website, you will then have more corroborative evidence.

The LDS have a microfilm of the Bishops Transcripts of Olveston (with a few gaps between 1785-1799 of the period you are interested in) so you could hire the film to view at your local Family History Centre.

Some Ancestry Trees can be wildly inaccurate so I'm afraid the only accurate way forward is to look at the parish registers for yourself.

Janet

siamesewillow

Thank you Janet, May well hire the microfilm from the LDS. Could you tell me how to go about this

siamese

janbooth

If you go on to the Home page of Family Search, you will see a link at the top "FamilySearch Centers". Click on that and the resulting page will enable you to find your nearest Centre and also explains how to search the Catalogue and how to order microfilms. Good luck and I hope you manage to sort out your James WILLIAMS and family.

Janet

siamesewillow

Will have to wait, the centre nearby is temporary closed.

siamese

richardp42

Hi siamese. I'm descended from Joseph Williams & Elizabeth Skinner (m. 1838). Keen to compare info.

Their marriage cert says that Joseph's father is deceased, which makes me wonder whether he is from the same family--the James you mention died after that. 3 different census records give different origins for Joseph: Olveston, Pilning & Westbury-on-Trym, so I'm trying to assess whether he's the same as Joseph b. 1806.

Which death certificate do you have, the 1856 or 1871 one for James? Does it give any information about son Joseph e.g. place of residence?

What are the names of the children of James (1801) & George (1802)? Interesting to see if any similarities with those of Joseph & Elizabeth Skinner (Emily Lavinia, Henrietta Eliz, Francis Charles, James Henry, Alicia Jane).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,
    Richard