silverender

Default EDWARD LEWIS HARDCASTLE

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me, during my reseach into my grandfathers family tree I find that he had a 2nd cousin named EDWARD LEWIS HARDCASTLE born 17 April 1874 London who was in the Royal Navy and also the army. While he was in the navy I would like to find out on which vessel he was on.
    At the moment this all the information I have:-
    In the 1911 census he was a captain in the Royal Navy, but doesent say which vessel he was on.
    In his wife's probate in 1944 he was stated as a retired colonel in the HM Army. If anyone can point me in the right direct direction how to proceed it would be greatly appreciated.
    Teresa

Nicolina

a look at the 1911 Census (RG14PN34975 RD640 SD6 ED1 SN9999) shows that he was a Captain in the R.G.A. (Royal Garrison Artillery) and not the Royal Navy. An easy mitake to make given his rank.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Teresa, if you are looking for Edwards service records, first see this TNA research guide here for information on service records for British Army Officers after 1913.

It would help to know when he retired from the army because for service records from 1922 to the present you need to go through the MOD. The Veterans UK page here describes how to request a summary of a service record. Note: These are not available to members of the general public, but next of kin may request access to them.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    It would help to know when he retired from the army . . . [/I]
    I think in 1931, unless there is another Col. E.L. Hardcastle. The London Gazette of 21 April 1931 had this announcement:

'Col. E.L. Hardcastle, D.S.O., on attaining the age for compulsory retirement, retires on ret. pay 17th Apr. 1931'

There are numerous mentions of Edward Lewis Hardcastle and Edward L. Hardcastle in earlier London Gazettes (the ones I looked at were all promotions).

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    I think in 1931, unless there is another Col. E.L. Hardcastle. The London Gazette of 21 April 1931 had this announcement:
    Looks like him to me. In which case, Teresa you would need to go through the MOD. He appears to have married in 1931 but this is in the September quarter after this retirement date and so his occupation may just say retired army officer or the like.

You can deduce some of Edward's military career by searching the London Gazette, using the search term E. L. HARDCASTLE, Edward L. HARDCASTLE or in a couple of cases Edward Lewis HARDCASTLE. I often find it quicker to search the Gazette using Google. I.e. using a search term such as...

site:www. london-gazette.co.uk "edward l. hardcastle"
    (Note: remove the space after www. in the above line)

You may also want to search the pay/subscription site, the British Newspaper Archive for any references to him.

www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

As an aside, Edward appears to have been an artist on the side? Perhaps you have already encountered this but if not...

Watercolour drawing by Edward Lewis Hardcastle, 1900 (c); associated with the Royal Artillery.

www.
    nam.ac.uk/inventory/objects/results.php?shortDescription=&event=&campaign=&ass ociatedName=&unit=&placeNotes=&productionNotes=&ke yword=&page=759

At least I think it's your Edward.