DianaCanada

Default Genelogical Weirdness

I seem to have a lot of "coincidental" things happen to me but this one really freaked me out - a few days ago I was mindlessly wasting time scrolling through the Feay/Fay name on the census for England (always hopeful that something will pop out and solve my Feay puzzle that is twenty years old) when the phone rang. Call display showed that the last name for the caller was - yes - FAY! I babbled into the phone but fortunately did not make a complete idiot of myself and ask if the man's ancestors came from Manchester. BTW this was a business-type call and the man had never called our household before. Weird!

Reputation beyond repute

If that happened to me, I would think the phone was being weird. Normally we get the caller's number displayed. If a name is displayed, it means we have already entered that number and name in our personal directory. This implies the number is a regular contact.

Perhaps your phone system is more technologically advanced than ours.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    If that happened to me, I would think the phone was being weird. Normally we get the caller's number displayed. If a name is displayed, it means we have already entered that number and name in our personal directory. This implies the number is a regular contact.

Perhaps your phone system is more technologically advanced than ours.
    Hi Peter...
    Maybe we are more technolgically advanced!!! Don't be jealous.....we pay for it!!!!!!!!! We can have nothing displayed, just the number or both name and number. If the person has the same service as us ( i.e. Bell Canada) and are listed in the phone directory then we get name and number. We got new phones at Christmas and they even announce who is calling..... I have not figured out how to shut that feature off as it is annoying. "Call from John Doe" or "Call from 555-555-5555" in a nasal voice and some of the pronunciations leave a lot to be desired,!

Sue

DianaCanada

We have that feature too, of the phone telling you the number aloud - half the time I can't understand what it's trying to say. My son is keyed in as Jon, but it sounds like Jun when the phone says it.
    Ah but we still don't pay for local calls here in the Great White North, unlike other places (UK and USA unless that's all changed) which is why we are or were the highest telephone talkers in the world. Apparently we are if not the highest Internet users, we are close, but no idea why...it's certainly not free!

Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    Ah but we still don't pay for local calls here in the Great White North, unlike other places (UK and USA unless that's all changed) which is why we are or were the highest telephone talkers in the world. Apparently we are if not the highest Internet users, we are close, but no idea why...it's certainly not free!
    Isn't it silly depending on where we live? At our office I can call several areas and they are not long distance. From our house which is under a different place I can only call a few of those places, yet the house is between the office and some of those places that I can call free from the office!
    The answer to your last question....... we are a bunch of nomads with our families spread out all over the country and we have to have something to do in our miserable Canadian winters!

Sue

DianaCanada

Actually I have more of an issue with our miserable humid summers - supposed to be well over 30 within a couple of days and will feel like 40s Celsius. This will be my second summer in southern Ontario and not happy about the heat!
    Years ago I lived in the sub-Arctic and had no problem at all with the winters. More of my weirdness, I guess.

Try and keep cool for the next few days. Humidex is already at 37C. Brutal.
    As for your phone calls.... sometimes you can have some really good discussions with people you have never met. One Bell rep in New Brunswick knew how to spell our surname which surprised me until he said he grew up with friends of the same name and we got in to a long discussion on genealogy! Another time at a horticulture show we ran in to a former college classmate of my husband who is married to a former classmate of mine. Got talking and here he's best buds with another family member of my husband's side and we had been trying to track that person down. Doesn't hurt to ask when they call.....it could be the break you are looking for!

Sue