ecila23

Default Christchurch Burial Records - look-up please?

Hi,

I'm desperately searching for the burial place of William Frederick Watts, who is registered to have died in Christchurch, Hampshire, 1912. (He was born 1848, Clapham, Surrey).

Does anybody know of any transcribed burial records for Christchurch, Hampshire on the internet, or can anyone do a look-up for me??

As an aside, does anyone have access to The Christchurch Times newspaper for the period of 1912, in case there is a death notice for him in there?

Many thanks,

Alice

Jan1954

Hello Alice - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Do you have William's death certificate? That should provide a clue as to where in the Christchurch area he was living and thus help to nail down a churchyard or cemetery in which to look.

I take it that this is his death registration?
    March quarter 1912, hristchurch registration district, volume 2b, page 941, William F WATTS, aged 63

ecila23

Hi,

Yup, that's his death registration, his wife was Mary (nee Hitchman), I don't know whether that will help at all.

I don't have his death certificate, but his last known place of residence was registered in the 1911 census, a year before his death, when he was at 7 Parley Road, Moordown. He had always lived around Alma Road/ Wimborne Road area and the roads off them whilst living in Hampshire.

Thanks very much for replying!

Alice

Copper

Ah ha Moordown is an area in Bournemouth. Bournemouth was in Hampshire and is now in Dorset. This explains why his death was registered in the Christchurch registration district.

If he was buried it would be a church in that area of Bournemouth. He might have been cremated. I don't when the crematorium was built in Bournemouth.

ecila23

I've just looked it up, and the crematorium was opened in 1938, so he must have been buried. St John the Baptist church and the North Cemetery are both around Moordown, but I don't know where I can get burial records for them without spending a lot of money (I don't live locally).

Thanks,

Alice

Copper

The burial records are at Hampshire Record Office which is in Winchester. They might look it up for you if you phone and ask nicely.

I have discovered that Bournemouth Bereavement Services hold burial and cremation records for all the Bournemouth Cemeteries (Wimborne Road, East, North, Kinson) and the Bournemouth Crematorium. They charge £18.50 for half an hour of searching, ouch.