Thread: Naughty boy

Starting to feel at home

Default Naughty boy

I've been looking at some of the bad boys of the Peskett families and have come across a fellow/fellows that causing me some difficulty. I can seem to identify them on the censuses during their indiscretions.

Here's what I have:
    An article on an Edwin Peskett from 1872, which describes him as a Kleptomaniac, apparently stealing over 1500 articles from his employer in 9 months and keeping a diary of said articles and what he received for them when pawned. He was sentenced to 5 years hard labour. https://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...8FD85F468784F9

Now I'm not sure if the following is the same chap or not. There are 3 seperate entries for an Edward Peskett. https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/searc...x=0&submit.y=0

The first is in 1877 for "again" stealing several articles from his master to which he was sentence 7 years Penal Servitude.

On the same date Edward is also charged with "Feloniously enticing away Ellen Emma Jameson, with intent to deprive her parents of her. Other Counts with intent to steal her clothing.

He PLEADED GUILTY to the First Count, and also to a previous conviction at Brighton, in March, 1872".

I assume this was grouped with the other charge, for which he received the 7 years.

Ten years later another charge is brought to Edward Peskett for "indecently assaulting Alice Hills, aged eight years, and to unlawfully detaining the said Alice Hills; also to a previous conviction at this Court in November, 1877.— Two Years' Hard Labour."

The charges seem to all tie into the previous ones, so I'm led to believe this is the same man, but I'm unable to ascertain via the censuses where this chap is. There is mention of an Edwin Peskett born abt 1849 in Bedford, Bedfordshire in both the 1851 and '61 census. But after that he doesn't seem to appear either as Edwin or Edward.

There is also an Edward Peskett born 1855 in Westbourne, Sussex who seems to be absent for the '71 & '81 censuses. Aside from these two I'm at a loss as to who the naughty boy is.

Perhaps someone might have some additional information that might point me in the right direction. I'm guessing it's possible he was enumerated as E.P. in some institution, but as to which one I have no idea.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Gerald

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Gerald,
    1881 census has him as a guest at H M Prison,Portsmouth.RG 11,Piece 1148,Folio 84,Page 10

Starting to feel at home

I don't know why I never came across this. It's staring you right in the face when you do a search. DUH!

Starting to feel at home

I just found him in 1871, apparently his name varied between Edwin and Edward along with his age. In 1871 he is listed as 30, possibly an error by the enumerator. Now I got to see if I can find him in later years.