Thread: ANN E ROACH.

sammysaid

Default ANN E ROACH.

Hiya,

My Ann E Roach was born in Leeds in about 1883. She marries Percy J Smith and they settle in the Hertfordshire area.
    Any info on her life prior to her marriage - in particular details of her parents & siblings.
    Thanks for reading...
    xxx

Percy John SMITH and Ann Ellen ROACH - marriage registrered Royston, Herts Sep qtr 1900 vol 3a page 1039. The marriage certificate should confirm who her father was.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Nicolina

from Yorkshire BMD
    1884 ROACH Ann E Leeds North

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    from Yorkshire BMD
    1884 ROACH Ann E Leeds North
    It does seem to fit the best. However, I believe the middle initial for this child is Eliza rather than Ellen. The birth was registered in the first quarter of 1884 and in the GRO index, the name is recorded as Ann Eliza ROACH.

Also, there is a baptism of an Annie Eliza ROACH in Leeds in 1884 and her birth date is recorded as 7th Feb 1884. Her mum is recorded as Eliza; no father is named.

For futher details (baptism date and place, residence) see the West Yorkshire, England, Births and Baptisms on Ancestry.

There only other possibilily I can see in the index is Annie Ellen ROACHE but this one was registered in 1887 and in the Barnsley registration district. Also, she would have been 13 on marrying, so I don't think so. Of course, we can't rule out the possibility that the middle name Ellen on the marriage cert is an error. Whatever the case, obtaining a copy of the marriage cert is recommended.

Edit: tweaked info after checking checking GRO index.

There is a Annie Smith brn Leeds 1884 married to a Percy John Smith living in Royston Herts..1901 census...RG13; Piece: 1291; Folio: 118

think a marriage cert is a must to proceed...obtain a fathers name and occupation..or establish there is no father either way needs to be confirmed.if her mum was single there is a chance she married and Ann is under a different surname in 1891, next would be a birth cert possibly for the Annie Eliza Roach 1884 Leeds as that appears the only birth that is close...Ann is noted as Annie in 1901