A fountain of knowledge

Default Ok. Some advice needed

The Kiwis on this site are my best bet I think as these are New Zealanders.

Two things 1) How can I find "birth" dates for adopted kids. Plus the name of one of them. I known the names of the adoptive parents and the names of one of the kids. But not "birth" date.

2) A death for a great aunt who married twice. The deaths that come up on BMDNZ don't fit with her birth date. I known when she was born. I've tried looking under her maiden name and both married names. No go! She was 62 when divorced the second time. It has occurred to me that she may have married yet again.
    She is the first divorcee in the family.

Any ideas anyone?
    Irene

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Not a Kiwi Irene, just fond of them, have you followed your Gt aunt in the N.Z. electoral rolls to see when she disappeared or changed name /address?
    Then again whoever registered her death may not have correctly known her birth date, especially if some-one connected to the 2nd marriage.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

David Benson

Quote Originally Posted by IreneH View Post
    1) How can I find "birth" dates for adopted kids. Plus the name of one of them. I known the names of the adoptive parents and the names of one of the kids. But not "birth" date.
    I expect the NZ system is similar to the UK. You won't find a 'birth' registered under the adopted name. It will only appear as the 'original birth' name. If you don't know the name when 1st registered then it is almost impossible to find.

A fountain of knowledge

Drat! Just as I get what is for that line of the family, and nice wee scandal, she disappears on me.

Are adopted kids given birth certs? They must have some sort of certificate because birth certificates are needed for all sorts of things.

Irene

David Benson

In the UK we get a 'short form' cert which just gives the new name, date and town of birth - no details of Mother/Father etc.

A fountain of knowledge

Thats what I thought David. Cant find one of those either and this kid seems to have disappeared after 1981. Rats!

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Irene,
    If you know the birth mothers name and the baby was born before 1990 then what you get is say either 1. )Mrs Bloggs, Male, Unnamed( or 2. (Mrs Bloggs, Male, Bloggs Jnr.)
    There is no reference to the adoptive parents, however the adoptive child birth certificate will have the official parents names.
    So if you know the childs name as A.B Bloggs the NZSG BDM fisches might give you an entry like A.B Smith along with the birth mothers name.

Secondly the online BDM index generally but not always have the correct date shown it records the date it was officially modified.
    The NZSG has a marriage cd (will do lookup if you would like) 1836-1956. It will show all the marriage partners.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Chisel,

I know the adopted parents and one of the adopted kids (they had two)but nothing about the birth parents or names. I can't find a adopted birth cert yet he must have one. He would have been born somewhere between 1945 & 1960. There is no death cert because I think he is still alive. I have found him once in NZ census then he disappears.
    Very annoying!

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Irene,
    Yes but it may be worth checking the birth fisches at the library for a possible 1st & 2nd name for his year. Maybe if you are lucky he was named by the birth mother.
    I also think that there are rules here that don't allow the discussion on locating the names of birth parents if the child is still alive. No doubt an admin will be quick to reply

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by IreneH View Post
    He would have been born somewhere between 1945 & 1960. There is no death cert because I think he is still alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
    I also think that there are rules here that don't allow the discussion on locating the names of birth parents if the child is still alive. No doubt an admin will be quick to reply
    Absolutely correct, Chisel.

First, details of living (or potentially living) people are not allowed on the forum and also, as it says on the Adoption sub-forum: Adoption posts after 1911 are not permitted on this forum.

Sorry, Irene. Have a look at the links in this sticky. Although for Britain, there should be something similar in NZ.