Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    knbkms

Thanks Robin, I shall look into that one and order the certificate and we will see, I will let you know. Whilst looking tonight, for the first time I stumbled across a census ~ RG11 0439/17 page 27 name of Mark Cohen..... who had a son Mark born 1868 ..... got me thinking..... I was told that the family had come from Poland and automatically assumed (stupidly) that Marcus Cohen had come over and was the first in my line to do so, but finding this has made me think that maybe it went further back than that and he actually came over with his father many years before, as a young boy..... something else for me to chew over. Do you know if I can find lists of families that came over from Poland well before 1881.... or am I expecting miracles???? Oh how I wish the crew from "who do you think you are" could interfere here for me!!!!

RobinC

I'd love the "WDYTYA" team to look into some of my lines as I have a few dead ends!

Looking at Salomon who was on the same trip as Marcus in 1854, he could be here in 1861 as both are a dealer on the travel account and census.

Class: RG 9; Piece: 272; Folio: 26; Page: 1

Census copyright of TNA

knbkms

Sorry Robin, think I have gone a bit figure/computer/research crazy ~ the dates above mean that this theory cannot be right, My Marcus was born around 1830ish, so that one is well out!!!!!!

Basically the family that you have seen on the 1861 census above is my family line and I am trying to sort out their wherabouts before that~ not proving to be an easy task, my head is spinning!!!!

RobinC

I could be wrong but if I am right, it might lead to another avenue of investigation - Is Cohen a Jewish name?

The reason I'm asking is because a lot of Orthodox Jews lived in Russia / Poland so it might explain why Abraham's birth record might not be so readily available.

knbkms

yes it is Robin, and there are literally thousands of them too, not the easiest name to research

RobinC

I've found a Salomon Marks Cohen who was with his wife Phoebe in 1851, 61 and 71 so I don't think he was the same Salomon who travelled from New York in 1854 unless he was on a business trip.

This puts the Abraham Marks Cohen who was born in 1857 into some possible clarification although Salomon and Phoebe don't appear to have any children on their census entries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12