Default William Dempster/Elizabeth Bowie

I am trying to locate William Dempster and Elizabeth Bowie and family in Scottish census records, initially 1841 but also later.
    Any assistance gratefully received.
    thanks
    daryl

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello Daryl

Do you have any more information about this couple -( dates, places, parents, siblings, occupations) to help?
    Is it the couple who married in 1828 in St Ninians Stirling (Family Search)?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

To see the images you will need to subscribe to Scotland's People. https://www.
    scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
    FMP have most of the transcriptions for the census 1841-1901 (as I understand it 1851 isn't yet complete), but you will need a subscription to do anything other than search the index. .
    FreeCEN have a lot of the Scottish census transcriptions, searchable and viewable for free. https://
    freecen.rootsweb.com/
    It would seem that most of the Scottish counties are complete for 1841, and several for 1851.

Pam

When searching, remember that either William or Elizabeth may have died and the surviving spouse has married again.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Do you have any more information about this couple -( dates, places, parents, siblings, occupations) to help?
    Good question.

There is a William DEMPSTER with wife Elizabeth BOWIE in the 1871 census living in Alloa, Clackmannanshire.
    (1871: Parish: Alloa (Clackmannanshire); Piece: 465 Folio: 8 Page: 5)

There is also this inscription in Auld Kirkyard at Tullibody, Clackmannanshire...

103 William Dempster 1.6.1872 age55, wife Elizabeth Bowie 14.1.1893 aged 85

https://
    jimpson.freewebsites.com/Auld_Kirkyard/inscriptions.html

Note: William's age does not match well with the 1871 census but Elizabeth's is quite close.
    According to the 1871 census, William was born abt 1805 in Alva, Stirlingshire and Elizabeth abt. 1809 in Barwick Brend, Stirlingshire (sic). So as start, perhaps they are in the 1841 census in Stirlingshire.

1841: Parish: Kippen (Stirlingshire); Piece: 484 Book/Folio: 3 Page: 6
    William Demster 35
    Elisabeth Demster 30
    Charles Demster 9
    Andrew Demster 7
    Robert Demster 4
    John Demster 1

Possibly also in...
    1851: St Ninians (Stirlingshire); Piece: 488 Folio: 17 Page: 1
    1861: Alloa (Clackmannan); Piece: 465 Folio: 0 Page: 1

Daryl, everything I have posted is pure guesswork. Pam has pointed out that FreeCEN has all of the 1841 Scottish census transcribed as well as some of the 1851 and so you can go and search for yourself. If you wish us to assist with this search then we really need more information from you.

Edit: amended the census refs

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Good question.

There is a William DEMPSTER with wife Elizabeth BOWIE in the 1871 census living in Alloa, Clackmannanshire.
    (1871: Parish: Alloa (Clackmannanshire); Piece: 465 Folio: 8 Page: 5)

There is also this inscription in Auld Kirkyard at Tullibody, Clackmannanshire...

103 William Dempster 1.6.1872 age55, wife Elizabeth Bowie 14.1.1893 aged 85

https://
    jimpson.freewebsites.com/Auld_Kirkyard/inscriptions.html

Note: William's age does not match well with the 1871 census but Elizabeth's is quite close.
    According to the 1871 census, William was born abt 1805 in Alva, Stirlingshire and Elizabeth abt. 1809 in Barwick Brend, Stirlingshire (sic). So as start, perhaps they are in the 1841 census in Stirlingshire.

1841: Parish: Kippen (Stirlingshire); Piece: 484 Book/Folio: 3 Page: 6
    William Demster 35
    Elisabeth Demster 30
    Charles Demster 9
    Andrew Demster 7
    Robert Demster 4
    John Demster 1

Possibly also in...
    1851: St Ninians (Stirlingshire); Piece: 488 Folio: 17 Page: 1
    1861: Alloa (Clackmannan); Piece: 465 Folio: 0 Page: 1

Daryl, everything I have posted is pure guesswork. Pam has pointed out that FreeCEN has all of the 1841 Scottish census transcribed as well as some of the 1851 and so you can go and search for yourself. If you wish us to assist with this search then we really need more information from you.

Edit: amended the census refs
    Thanks for links etc grisel and Pam
    Thank you olliecat - despite the lack of information to go on (all I could add is a son Andrew born c1834, Stirling) you have found them (Demster huh, must make sure "exact" is not "on" in future).
    Andrew had children named (among others) William, Elizabeth, Charles, Andrew, Robert and John so he clearly wanted to remember his family back in Scotland.
    Thanks agin
    daryl

JanetMacfarlane

Hi Daryl, I hope you have found all the information you were looking for as your entry was in 2012. I have just joined British Geneology and right away came across your request. William Dempster and Elizabeth Bowie were my great great grandparents. I have many cencus details, birth, death and marriage certificates pertaining to my side of the Dempster family from way before 1841 until now. We do have a connection with New Zealand especially Thelma Snow. There is a lot of really interesting history. If you are still looking for information please contact me through this site initially and then we can come to some arrangement for me to send certificates and any other details you want. Just to let you know that we have a quite a large extended family in Scotland. Yours sincerely Janet.